Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Highland Light Infantry - 28th Sept. 1918

Ken Lees

Can anyone tell me where the 5th HLI were, and what they were doing, on 28th September, 1918?

I am researching an officer of the battalion who was killed on that day and who was buried at Voormezeele, near Ypres.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Hmmm... now there's a mystery. The battalion were fighting near to Bourlon Wood so why would he be buried at Voormezeele?

It could be that he was attached to the 10th HLI, so does anyone have any information on were they were, and what they were doing, on 28th September, 1918?

Thanks,

Ken

Using Geoff's Engine it looks like there were 3 officers killed on the 28th Sept, all in the Salient. Is your man James Alston, or Robert Harbison? Can only see one 10th Bn man killed on the 28th, Pte Goldstone, and he is buried at Voormezeele.

Mike

It's Harbison and he is buried next to Goldstone. A previous thread about Goldstone suggests that Goldstone was killed trying to save a wounded officer - possibly Harbison, since they are buried side by side.

I'm trying to discover a little more, if possible, as I am going to visit the cemetery tomorrow.

• 7 months later...

Hi Ken,

I was wondering if I may be so intrusive as to enquire what your research was about? Private James Henry Goldstone was my great grandfather and I would very much love to know anything that you may have found out about him or Robert Harbison that my family or I do not already know. It is correct that he was killed by enemy an machine gun whilst trying to save his friend Robert Harbison who had been fatally wounded. Please see the following link for further information.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/lest-forget---10-birmingham-7555248

Any further information that you may be able to offer us would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks!