Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flamintinare [sp?], probably near Ypres

Half-pint

Hello: We have the following photograph from our Grandad's service in the Ypres area [25 Sept 1915 - 6 June 1916]. The caption reads, "Dickson, Flour Mill, Flamintinare" ... although I cannot say for sure how that placename is spelt. Can anyone help, please?

Dickson was probably one of Grandad's mates in the 28th Btn CEF.

Alison Causton, in "the valley", Nova Scotia

post-4-1098163502.jpg

Perhaps that would be Vlamertinghe (I hope my spelling is lucky today!). That would be just a mile or two west of the town of Ypres. Many, if not most troops in the salient would have passed through it on their way in and out.

Pramin**gre?

I think It ends ...gre

L.

post-4-1098174102.jpg

My opinion : Flamintinghe or something very close to it. Which probably could be Vlamertinghe (spelled now as Vlamertinge), firsdt village west of Ypres as jhill said.

If only someone had a photo of a flour mill at Vlamertinge ...

Aurel

Names of Vlamertinge and the dates:

1066: Flambertenges

1123: Flamertinghe

1221: Vlamertinghe

1285: Flamertenga

1636: Vlamertijnghe

1903: Vlamertinge

Maybe on the mill it was still written in meideval style..., but the mill can't be so old (maybe the site of the mill was)

14 Sept 1917. Capt Hurley near windmill.

The building & background suggests the same Windmill. The sails do not. Difference in sails probably due to absence of contrasting backdrop.

Despite apparent differences in outline this would almost certainly be the same mill in both pics.

I did not search under place names or Flourmill etc.

I would vote for Vlamertinge, as postcard was probably not eritten whilst facing a signboard, and lots of places tened to be spelt phonetically "from memory"

post-4-1098186602.jpg

Bonza,

Is this mill at Vlamertinge ?

(I'm only asking because there are some differences.)

Kristof,

I don't think the name was on the mill itself, only handwritten beneath the photo.

Aurel

This looks equally much like two seperate words . Also how Flemish is the name Dickson??

Rupert,

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that the name which looks like Vlamertinge (present spelling) is in two separate words ? It looks like one to me.

And Dickson is totally un-Flemish. But I suppose Dickson is the name of the soldier in front of the mill ?

Aurel

Rupe .

About as Flemish as the Tommy in the picture, probably. ;)

Pat

Aurel

I was having touble posting the pics, Not 100% sure but thet seem to both be of the same mill near Dickebusch. AWM suggests that these were typical for the area, and would confirm Alison's suggestion of near Ypres.

Pat

Hello,

According to the book "Molens van de frontstreek" Verpaalen John P.--(Mills in Ypres, Zonnebeke, Heuvelland, (Kemmel, Wijtschate ,.... ) ... this is a mill in Dickebus near Hallebast. It's "Van Eeckes Molen" or the "Witte Brood" Molen" (Honeymoon ?) White bread mill. This mill stood first in Steenvoorde (France) and was rebuild in Dikkebus 450 m from the old (destructed) mill. (1878).

Van Walleghem (vicar of Dikkebus) in his diary of the war says that the mill was destroyed on Good Friday 21 april 1916...

Aurel, Ive actually revisited that post and edited it. I have also played with the image. I can see Flamintingre now but it is still meaningless as to where at the moment. Vlamerting had a brick mill with no sails. I would not expect another mill in the village . Yes, silly of me to think the Mill belonged to Dixon.

hello,

I wrote about the second pictures...

May be the first picture is a mill in Dikkebus - Bailleuls molen - (now near El Molino)on the street to Ypres.

There is a picture of this mill taken by srgt; Christopher Pilkington, this mill was destroyed after 16 july 1916 ...

Hello again: ... and thank you, very much, for your analyses and replies.

Grandad --Pte H.N. Causton-- would have snapped the photograph before 6 June 1916, which is the date he was injured & captured at nearby Hooge.

Dickson was one of his mates in the Canadian Corps ... I am still trying to sort out which Dickson.

I am inclined to vote for 'Vlamertinge' and very much appreciate all of the contributions, including the history of the name of the village and the different colour applied to the handwriting.

Regards,

Alison Causton

Bonza,

Are You very sure of september 1917? because on 21 april 1916 there was a terrible bombardment on this place. 400 bombs in less than 3 hours... So the mill had been very lucky.. I think that the conclusion of "Verpaalen" was wrong, but when in the war was this mill destroyed ?

Frie

Mate, thank you for the question!

Some time back there was a thread in which the integrity of the Australian War Photographer was questioned. The first of the two AWM picture is of, and the second is [probably] taken by that person, Captain Hurley.

In 1916 he was 'otherwise employed' as photographer to Shaclkleton's expedition a long ways to the south of Belgium.

He did not arrive in Flanders until mid 1917 & did some brilliant portrayals of conditions & actions, particularly in the early battles of 3rd Ypres. The captions on the AWM pictures specify the date 14 September 1917.

Although disappointed that Hurley's meticulous attention to detail has not been reflected in the AWM references, this is just another example of the assistance that our appreciation of WW1 events has been provided by Captain Hurley.

His camera never lies.

Other copies of these pictures may be contained in some of the many other publications drawing on the works of Capt Hurley. They may provide greater

detail to the "near Dickebush".

There is no proof that Hurley's & Dicksons Mills are one & the same. The AWM caption describes theirs as 'typical of the area' and IMHO they do look similar.

This answer may appear a little long-winded.

It is, and I loved every minute of it.

One hardly ever gets asked a question to which they have the yes/no answer.

THanks again

Pat

The building & background suggests the same Windmill. The sails do not. Difference in sails probably due to absence of contrasting backdrop.

The difference may be due to the capacity to 'furl' and 'unfurl' sails in some windmills. May yet be the same windmill.

Robert

Difference in sails probably due to absence of contrasting backdrop.

The difference is accounted for by the fact that the louvre boards and frames would make excellent firewood for Tommies brew.It is possible to climb these sails to rotate them which makes it easy to salvage the materials.It is undoubtedly the same mill in the two pictures by Bonza but not the same mill as in the original post.

There again (quick edit here!!) It must have had a preservation order on it because as can be seen the sails are complete in both pics barring louvres.

This is getting complicated as often it seems that we do not know if we are talking about the same photo.

In my opinion there can be no doubt that the two AWM pictures show the same mill. Far too many similarities.

And I agree with Frie : there are differences between on the one hand the AWM mill and the "Dickson" flour mill mill. At least a dozen or two.

Aurel

(Rupert, I wrote this posting before I had seen yours.)

The difference is accounted for by the fact that the louvre boards and frames would make excellent firewood for...brew.

In that case, I recant all previous statements, and now accept that the date MUST have been 1916. By September 1917 the AIF had been in the area for a week or so & nothing that attractive would have survived.

Bonza, Just re-read the post regarding firewood. I edited it after playing with the image and it is clear that the sail frames are the same in both pictures and it was as you said just the overexposure that makes them invisible. So you are most probably correct in your date.