Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Palestine War Diaries

Powis

Hello,

I am researching Harry Cureton Roberts, an officer in the 74th (Yeomanry) Division. Harry was killed on December 27th 1917 just south of Jerusalem.

This is the plaque in Meifod Church, Montgomeryshire.

Harry Cureton Roberts Memorial Tablet In Meifod Church

In an attempt to find out what happened to him, I am looking for anyone who may have copies of the following war diaries, and would be willing to send me any information in or around that date...

Diaries are:

74 (Yeomanry) Division (Ref:WO 95/4679)
It seems that he was fighting alongside two other units when he was killed, so I am also interested in finding two further accounts of the action that day.
24 Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers
25 Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards, Powis

Powis

Harry was an Officer with 1/1 Montgomeryshire Yeomanry prior to March 1917 when that unit combined with 1/1 Welsh Horse to form 25 Battalion RWF (231 Brigade of 74 Division),with whom he served at the time of his death. The 25RWF War Diary,as you state,WO95/4679,will likely give the detail of the day. It is not yet digital,and I may get time this week to see what it has to say.

I have some pages for 25 RWF for Dec 1917,a PM with your e-mail will get them to you.

Should anyone else be interested Powis now has the War Diary WO95/4679 for the period 24 Nov to 31 Dec 1917.

• 1 month later...