Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Military Foot Police - ex regular Police ?

Coldstreamer

Hello

I have a few men who I am researching who transferred into the MFP - is it likely they transferred due to being pre war regular Police ?

Coldstreamer,

Highly likely. Due to the rapid expansion of the Army in 1914 it is suggested that standards of entry to the MFP were reduced. Many men being transferred into the Military Foot Polce from other units. In an effort to compensate some reservists and civilian police recruits were recruited directly into the Military Foot Police.

Tony P

Ian

I'm sure you are aware of numbers of soldiers in all of Guards Regiments who joined Police on discharge as peacetime enlistment of 3 years plus 9 on the reserve was an ideal term in which to obtain appropriate/necessary Army education qualifications.

From memory I think Dobson VC - 2nd CG Sept 1914 - was a recalled reservist from Barnsley Police.

A lot of "Guardsmen" transferred to MFP - there are many such records on Ancestry.

Steve Y

I can confirm (although whether it is statistically significant is debateable) that the three local soldiers I have researched who served with the Military Police were all pre war Policemen.

I've seen a couple of DLI men who went in to the MFP who had no obvious signs of any police service.

Craig

I can confirm (although whether it is statistically significant is debateable) that the three local soldiers I have researched who served with the Military Police were all pre war Policemen.

similarly 2 of the 3 casualties of policemen who joined the army from my town were RMP's.

• 2 weeks later...

Researching for village project and am trying to find out if civilian police who volunteered were conscripted into military police, or if there is any way to find out if there is any way of tracing names and military service other than attestation papers and military service records. We have name and date of serviceman, Alfred Lount, and when he was killed (29th July, 1918), but very little else. At some point he joined, or was transferred to the 1st/7th Cheshire Regiment, but no dates. Any help or pointers gratefully accepted.

I am not sure if all policemen would have sent to Military Police units.

He seems to have enlisted fairly early and may have had a choice. Whether the Cheshire Regiment had their own police unit I do not know.

Thanks for the prompt reply. You mention he seems to have joined early, I know he enlisted at Wakefield, but can't find any dates. Are you assuming he joined early?

Hi,

I researched a friends grandfather who was one of 6 Denbighshire Constabulary Constables who volunteered for service with the Royal Garrison Artillery in December 1915. There is a letter on his file from his Chief Constable.

He served as a Gunner for the duration and rejoined Denbighshire Constabulary on demobilization in 1919.

Regards

Steve Y

Before the war, the Military Foot Police (and the Military Mounted Police) were recruited from among serving soldiers. In addition, a lot of policemen were already soldiers in the Reserve, recalled on the outbreak of War.

I'm sure that, with the rapid growth of the army in 1914-15, there will have been some direct recruitment of policemen into the MFP, but bearing in mind that they would need to be familiar with military life and military law, I'm not sure that civilian police would have been particularly more appropriate. They would presumably be men of good character and integrity, qualities especially appropriate for the MFP.

Ron

A fair proportion of (civilian) police seem to have been reservists, particularly Foot Guards, presumably due to similar height requirements. Wolverhampton Archives' blog http://wolverhamptonswar.wordpress.com/ is currently looking at local poilce who served, via the minutes of the local Watch Committee.

David

I have researched all of the north eastern police forces for men who served during the 1st WW. Men who were reservists were all recalled to their previous regiments or in the case of navy men were allocated ships on which to serve. Out of just short of a 1000 men I have history on, only 183 served with the MFP and MMP. When men attested for service some were immediately admitted to the MFP & MMP but most served in other regiments. At one point the Chief Constable of Durham was asked by the army to release 50 men to serve as MFP & MMP, and although he agreed to this he was not too happy as he had lost so many men who had enlisted and left to serve in the forces.

John

Thanks all

I think at the begining of the war they where not ex policemen but as the war progressed they where recruited as such, such as my grandfather. Search on Claude Hickley.

• 3 years later...

Hi 

a friend has asked me if I could find any information on this gentleman.

he started of in the Cameron highlanders neil macIntyre no 3066 then s/40075.

he then joined the MFP under no p/19737.

is there anywhere I can check his MFP movements

thanke

Gam

Hello Gam

Does his service record survive? If so, it would tell you where he served. If not, then I'm afraid that it is unlikely, as MMP and MFP served in relatively small detachments, mainly in brigade and higher HQ and in towns on the lines of communication.

Ron

Hi ron 

Unfortunatley it appears they did

not.

thanks anyway 

Gam