Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marazion memorial gun - where?

Steven Broomfield

Continuing my stately progress through Cornwall, today found me in Marazion, the charming little town across the bay from St Michael's Mount.

Adjacent to the town's war memorial is the stone pictured.

OK: what was the gun and where is it now?

(I've checked the extensive library to no avail).

post-6673-0-24099300-1402517077_thumb.jp

Steven

I wonder if it went the same way as many Crimean War Trophy Guns to help the War Effort during WW2?

Dave

I imagine so, but it would be nice to know what it was. 77, possibly, though not sure where it would fit in the space available.

Cornishman - West Cornwall News - January 1920

"Through the influence of Brigadier General Lord St. Levan, a German field gun has been presented to the town of Marazion by the War Office, in recognition the very high percentage of the men of Maraz who voluntarily joined H.M. forces in the early days of the war. The gun bears evidence of active service, and will eventually be placed in the new Recreation Ground"

Thanks. St Levan is the name of the Baronial family who own St Michael's Mount. 77 it probably is, then.

I wonder if the stone was moved to its current location when the gun went, assuming the gun was in a the local Rec.

I might check and see if there's a Local History Society.

When I was in Marazion a few years back the lady on duty in the museum was researching the town's WW1 dead - she may know a bit about the gun.

Postcards from 1931 and the 60s don't show the gun by the war memorial. I suspect you're correct in thinking the stone was moved to its current location when the trophy was scapped

I recall reading that in New Zealand at the outbreak of WW2 numerous old guns displayed in city parks and dating from the Crimea etc were buried to avoid being bombed by Japanese aircraft. I think they were later recovered in the 1960/70's and returned to display. Is it possible that GW trophy guns in the UK suffered a similar fate and still await their recovery. ( I would like to think so anyway)

khaki

The Victorian railings of the Keigwin Arms, Mousehole, were buried to save them.

Kath.

Thanks all. I think an e-mail to the Town Museum might be forthcoming.

Almost all trophy guns from WW1 were scrapped many well before WW2 and most of any survivors during that war - much the same story as the presentation tanks. Typical places where they used to be sited included

• The local war memorial
  • a local park
  • outside the town hall
  • outside the public library
  • with the presentation tank (if the town had one)

Unusual that the stone was preserved however

There are various stories of presentation tanks being buried as the council didn't want to pay to have them removed but none have been found and this appears to be another urban myth, in the UK I suspect the same would apply to buried guns.

If of interest, and if you are still in the vicinity, there is a street lamp overlooking Newlyn harbour in memory of Louisa McGrigor, Commandant, VAD, who died in a London hospital. Or, perhaps, the gravestone of a Roman legionaire, at Trevarrack - both on the edge of Penzance.

Have distant memories of seeing a gun on a site overlooking the sea at Marazion. This on a Cornish holiday around 20 or even 30 years ago, seem to recall it in a fairly neglected garden area. Did not take any photos sadly and unable to recall if of WW1 or WW2 vintage, sorry to be so vague.

Mike.

Ben to Bodmin today. Relevant photos to be posted elsewhere.

• 2 years later...

I also remember seeing a gun when on holiday in the late 70s/early 80s, I asked about it at the local museum a year or two ago, but they didn't have any details.

• 7 years later...

The block pavers date the image to the mid 1970s or later.
The 4 digit area code for the builder's phone number, 0736 (Penzance) predates 16th April 1995.

Judging by the rubber tyres, I don't think that's an original  Great War German gun.

• 3 weeks later...

That’s a British 5.5” field gun. In service from 1941 to 1980, so definitely not the gun in question .