Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Michelin Battlefield Guides

fatbob

I've just found a Michelin Battlefield guide in an old book shop.

My question is this, how do you tell if it is an original or a reprint? Any tell tale signs that would confirm one way or another?

Any ideas and thoughts much appreciated.

Fatbob

I have an original French language version of the Ypres and the Salient which has a blue cover. All the reprints I have seen that have been done

in the last few years have buff coloured covers. Is there not a printing date on the publication details

Dont know if this helps

Geoff

Thanks Geoff,

This copy has the buff cover but all I can find date wise is a copyright 1919 and an advert from Michelin with the date 1919. There is no mention of it being a reprint.

Hi, someone interesting about "Guides Michelin battlefields 14 18" ??? Possibility to find these books in good condition (nice price) in shop (old books) near Lille North of France...just send me a mail. Thank you. soon Laurent.

The English language versions were buff coloured; French ones blue, as mentioned above.

The originals have a thick 'hard' cover, while the reprints generally have a thin card cover and are on modern shiny paper. However, I think some of the city guides also appeared in card covers in the 20s.

There is an article on these in the current issue of the French '39-45' magazine.