Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unteroffizier Kandulski

MattyBoy

Hi everyone,

I've seen references to a Unteroffizier Kandulski as being responsible for bringing down French ace Adolphe Pegoud on 31 August 1915, and also as having been Pegoud's former pupil.

Does anyone know anything more of this man ?

1. What his aviator certificate number/date was,

2. What happened to him after his victory on this date?

3. Any other info ?

I have also posted this topic on The Aerodrome Forum.

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Hi everyone,

I've seen references to a Unteroffizier Kandulski as being responsible for bringing down French ace Adolphe Pegoud on 31 August 1915, and also as having been Pegoud's former pupil.

Does anyone know anything more of this man ?

1. What his aviator certificate number/date was,

2. What happened to him after his victory on this date?

3. Any other info ?

I have also posted this topic on The Aerodrome Forum.

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Hi Matty

A little googling threw up this website:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/france/pegoud.html

Is this the fellow?

Robbie

That's the guy, Robbie.

I think Unteroffizier is German for Corporal.

After this, he seems to have vanished into thin air!

That's the guy, Robbie.

Mmnnn..you had that ink alredy? Will keep looking.

Robbie

Afraid so, Robbie!

If anyone has O'Connors' 'Awards Of Imperial Germany & the Men Who Earned Them', does he appear in any of these volumes?

Matt.

That's the guy, Robbie.

sorry but Grefreiter is German for Corporal. Unteroffizer is a totally different rank which I do not know the British equivialant.

All the best

Chris

Matt

Sergent Ronserail and Soldat Montels of Escadrille C34 were credited with bringing down an enemy aeroplane north-west of Mühlhausen on 18 May 1916; this would fit with the victory over Uffz Kandulski mentioned in the 'Unfortunate Region' link. There's no corresponding fatality recorded in Casualties of the German Air Service 1914-1920, so it might be that he survived the incident.

Gareth

Hello Gareth,

The grandson of Kandulski provided the text. I would imagine that he would have mentiond the fact if the French were in error and that his granddad wasn't dead at the time :D

Regards,

Marco

Marco

As you say, the grandson should know!

I wonder why Uffz Kandulski isn't listed in a very comprehensive book? These things happen, I suppose.

Gareth

Hi everyone,

The website owners have provided me with Kandulskis' grandson's e-mail. I will ask him a few questions later today and post them here, provided I have his permission. Is it possible that he was of Austrian nationality? His name doesn't seem to be in keeping with this theory, though. Hopefully I'll find out soon enough!

Matt.

• 2 months later...

Gareth,

What can I say? Well what I can say is that we will need to update our webpage! :D

Apart from family stories apperently a marriage certificate has turned up for Walter Kandulski dated 15 October 1917 with a daughter being born on 8th december 1918. Highly unlikely therefore that he was killed!

Regards,

Marco

There's no corresponding fatality recorded in Casualties of the German Air Service 1914-1920, so it might be that he survived the incident.

Marco

So it looks like the theory that he might have survived was correct! Do you know what happened to him after the War?

Best wishes

Gareth

Gareth,

No, not yet. It appears he divorced his wife in 1923 and that the family with we have contact now lost contact with him. I'll see if I can make a summary this weekend.

Regards,

Marco

For what it's worth, Kandulski shows up twice on the Cross and Cockade index. There's a reference to him on page 183, volume 17 and page 96, volume 19. Unfortunately I don't posess either of these volumes but perhaps someone out there does?

Alec

Hi all,

This is a photo of Kandulski that his grandson sent me:

Regards

Matt.

post-25-1106094762.jpg