Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aldingham Camp - Did such a place exist ?

ddycher

All

I came across a ref on ordersofbattle.com to the 15th Devons being disbanded at "Aldingham Camp". This is the only ref I have yet seen which cites a day (22nd June 1919) although I had long thought the 15th Devons were disbanded at Aldeburgh in June 1919.

See geographical refs for Cumberland but this makes no sense. My best is a typo on the ordersofbattle web-site but just in case anyone know any better ?

Regards

Dave

Aahhh...Aldringham is a place nr Aldeburgh. Let me try again.

At Aldringham House, Saxmundham ? Apologies geography is hopeless. Still anyone know anything about the camp ?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Aldringham House and Aldringham Park is on the north side of Aldringham, on the road to Leiston. I don't know too much about the camp, but if I recall correctly it was used from July to September 1915 by the Suffolk Yeomanry before it embarked for Gallipoli.

All the best

Steve

Thanks Steve

Cant seem to find anything on this camp. Still looking. Will post if I do.

Regards

Dave

No worries Dave,

I would suggest if you ever come across references to units being accommodated at either Aldringham or Leiston, then Aldringham House and grounds is the most likely location. (Not sure when the name Aldringham Park came into being - it might be a relatively new name for the area of housing now there.)

All the best

Steve

The only other specific military reference to Aldringham House I've found actually relates to WWII. A Troop, 347 Battery, 136 Field Regiment RFA were based here in 1940 (WO 166.1037).

No worries Dave,

I would suggest if you ever come across references to units being accommodated at either Aldringham or Leiston, then Aldringham House and grounds is the most likely location. (Not sure when the name Aldringham Park came into being - it might be a relatively new name for the area of housing now there.)

All the best

Steve

At one time the grounds of any large house would be referred to as a park with the same name as the house.

Thanks gents

Got as far as :

Aldringham Camp, Aldeburgh as part of the 227th Mixed Bde att'd to the 67th Division at Saxmundham. I with you both that this a tented camp at Aldringham House (grounds seem to have been used as a tented camp in both wars). Struggling to get any further though. Spent a few days trawling through local Herne Bay area papers and found nothing. Currently exploring the 67th Div thread to see if that throws up any more. Nothing yet though.

Thanks again

Regards

Dave