The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bertie Samuel Whitmore

Hello again,

I am researching a Bertie Samuel Whitmore who was killed 23rd August 1918 and is buried at Garzencourt. I wondered if anyone had any infomation as to rank and battalion. Very much appreciated. I was wondering about medal cards and a date of sign up.

WHITMORE Bertie Samuel Private 204244, 1st Battalion, Norfolk Regiment. Died of wounds Friday 23rd August 1918. Age 30. Born and enlisted Bedford. Son of Joseph and Ruth Whitmore; husband of Mrs. Whitmore, of 31, Gladstone St., Bedford. Buried in BAGNEUX BRITISH CEMETERY, GEZAINCOURT, Somme, France. Grave IV. D. 32.

From The National Roll of the Great War 1914-1918. Section XII Bedford & Northampton

WHITMORE, B. S., Private, 1st Norfolk Regt.

Mobilised from the Reserve in October 1914, he first served with his unit at important stations in England, and was not drafted to France until 1917. There he took part in many important engagements, including Arras and Passchendaele, and was badly wounded at Bazencourt. He unfortunately died at the 56th Casualty Clearing Station Hospital on August 23rd, 1918, from his injuries. He was entitled to the General Service and Victory Medals.

“His memory is cherished with pride.”

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I see he was wounded. Does anyone know if any wound records aare around for this period ?

Soldiers who were wounded had the details noted on the Casualty form in their Service Record.

Sam

Previously served 3/Bedfordshire attested 1905

Hello

Thank you for the infomation. Have managed to trace the family back even further than just Bertie but interesting to find he was a pre war soldier.