Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unknown relative

gunbunny31

possibly, but the badge has a scroll underneath, am sure the cheshire badge hasnt got that? and i believe the family are from notts area

The badges for Cheshire Regiment I have seen are an eight pointed shape with a scroll.

Can you post a 'zoomed in' pic.

It might be easier if you have a Christian name for him.

There's an MIC for 2127 Arthur Newboult, Cheshire Regiment, but the address on his pension papers is 345 Edgley Rd, Cheadle Heath Cheshire.

post-48020-0-30719200-1402270065_thumb.j

His pension papers also mention an address, which looks like (a bit blurry) Delhe Road, Off Liverpool Road and his fathers name, Walter (again quite hard to read).

Definately Cheshire Rgt. On the EY badge the scroll ends meet the star points

Jon

edit. go on Robert go the whole 100% ;)

well ****** me sideways and call me susan, thanks for all your efforts. on closer interrogation of my mother involving water and damp towels, it is indeed Arthur Newboult from Stockport and his father Walter. thats cleared up a long family mystery which if i had realized the Cheshire badge had changed thru the years would have been done and dusted. As a serviceman I hold my hands up to a schoolboy mistake. Much regards

There is a pension record for him on Ancestry.

• 5 months later...

Cheshire Regiment Cap Badge pre-1922 (as worn in the Great War and by the actors portraying British Soldiers in the the Sainsbury's Xmas TV advert portraying the 1914 Xmas day truce that history records as being started by 6th Battalion, The 22nd (Cheshire) Regiment.

I served for 22 years in the Cheshires. It was raised in 1689 on the roodee in Chester. During the Great War it raised 38 Battalions. In 2007 - as the last unamalgamated county regiment in the British Army, it was combined with 2 other regiments to form the Mercian Regiment.

It still has a regimental museum at Chester Castle and they will be more than happy to dig out all the details of your ancestor that they possess and show you the archives. they will also love a copy of your picture.