The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Margot Asquith

IanA

They can't all have been dolts and scheming idiots - we did manage to come out of the war on the victorious side after all. Wasps also have very little brain behind that sharp sting.

They can't all have been dolts and scheming idiots - we did manage to come out of the war on the victorious side after all. Wasps also have very little brain behind that sharp sting.

Apparently her husband comes out of it quite well! :P

The book does look rather interesting Ian. I've an old copy of the book Winston Churchill as I knew him written by Violet Bonham Carter, Margot Asquith's stepdaughter and the daughter of H H Asquith. Violet was described in some quarters as Churchill's closest female friend. She first met him in 1906 when she was nineteen. Her book contains quite a number of her diary entries throughout the years ( I know that diaries of hers have been published in their entirety in other books). I'll look forward to reading what her stepma thought of him. From the article above, it sounds as if Margot wasn't as fond of him as her stepdaughter.

The book does look rather interesting Ian. I've an old copy of the book Winston Churchill as I knew him written by Violet Bonham Carter, Margot Asquith's stepdaughter and the daughter of H H Asquith. Violet was described in some quarters as Churchill's closest female friend. She first met him in 1906 when she was nineteen. Her book contains quite a number of her diary entries throughout the years ( I know that diaries of hers have been published in their entirety in other books). I'll look forward to reading what her stepma thought of him. From the article above, it sounds as if Margot wasn't as fond of him as her stepdaughter.

Margot's opinion of WSC is well-documented in Roy Jenkins' 'Churchill'. In a letter to Balfour: "He is a hound of the lowest sense of political honour, a fool of the lowest judgement and contemptible."

Jenkins writes of Violet: "She was at least near to being in love with Churchill, although not he with her."

Just received review copy. Not too sure about it from first quick check. It certainly does not at first glance seem as interesting and informative as her husband's letters to Venetia Stanley. But I shall see.The introduction comprises a quarter of the book, the rest diary, chronology and extensive foot notes. The index reads like a Wh's Who. Currently number four in the pile to read!

!

• 2 years later...

She`s clearly no fan of Haig:-

"He is handsome and Scotch and, though a very fine soldier, a remarkably stupid man to talk to."

She obviously didn`t consider the two characteristics mutually exclusive!

Edited by PhilB