Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brigadier General G.D. Goodman

Cynthia

You never know who you will meet on any given day! While taking my annual photo of the changes to the former Stark home on Salisbury Road in Godstone a few weeks ago(the new owners keep adding additions on - this time a new front door!) one of the neighbours looked at me suspiciously. After assuring him I was not a terrorist, we began talking and I told him the story of the Starks and the Great War. Later we had tea and he showed me his family pictures on the walls of the house. It seems his grandfather was Brigadier General Godfrey Davenport Goodman of the 30th Division! He told me that there was a story that he went into the trenches with his men and fought alongside them.

Can anyone shed any light on Brigadier General Goodman? I found this piece about the Goodman Redoubt, but not much on the General himself.

CHATEAU DE POMMERY – GOODMAN REDOUBT. The ruins of Chateau de Pommery (which had been blown up by the Germans) fell to the 2nd Manchesters in April 1917. A redoubt was latered constructed around the ruins of the building, being named Goodman Redoubt after Brigadier General G.D.Goodman of 21st Brigade, 30th Division. On 21st March it was defended by 17th Manchesters, sister battalion of Elstob’s 16th. The redoubt did not come under attack until the 22nd March, and after heavy fighting the position was eventually overrun, with only around 100 men answering the roll call after the action. Seven officers were taken prisoner here, and at least two officers and 73 Other Ranks were killed according to ‘Soldiers Died’.

I also saw many of his medals and awards. To think that one of his descendants lives two houses away from where Pte Stark once lived!

Thanks to any 30th Division experts out there.

Cynthia

• 13 years later...

Hi, Cynthia,

Brigadier General G.D. Goodman was born not far from my home and was an important figure locally. I have been researching the history of my home town in the Great War and Godfrey Goodman did indeed lead local men in France. I have a copy of his obituary if you would like it.

goodman.jpg

• Admin

Hi Steve

Cynthia hasn't visited the forum for 4 years, if you make 2 posts you can then use private messenger, but the message will only get through if Cynthia is still using the email address she registered with the forum.

Michelle