The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Walter Jaundrill Kings Liverpool Regiment

BrianR

MIC -

Reg. no. 13162 - he was awarded the Victory and British War medals.

SDGW -

Born in Presot, Lancs

Enlisted in Seaforth, Lancs

KIA 3rd July 1916 - France & Flanders

17th Battalion

17 Battalion was part of 89 Brigade of 30 Division,which,on 3 July 1916,saw Walter killed in action fighting in the Battle of Albert,the first in the series of the Somme Battles of 1916.

He didn't arrive in France until after 1915,the unit first landed on 7 Nov 1915 so he was likely in a replacement draft at some time in the first half of 1916. The War Diary may give some indication of this,it is digital and downloadable here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7353647

The 17th Battalion, KLR, was the first of the Liverpool Pals Battalions. A new memorial to these Pals is to be inaugurated in LIverpool in late July.

D

In the 1911 census there's a Walter Jaundrill living at 38, Warrington Road, Prescot aged 30, his profession a coal miner (hewer). I can't find him at the moment in 1901, but there is a Walter in 1891, born in Huyton, resident in Prescot, aged 10, son of John and Ann Jaundill.

Walking over ground between the sites of Glatz Redoubt and the Briqueterie many years ago I found this

post-15439-0-18560700-1402230555_thumb.j

MIC has no date of entry into a war zone and no issue of a 1914-15 Star,hence my comment that he didn't (appear to) land until after 1915.

He has a second card in the surname of JAUNDILL which confirms his arrival in France on 19th May 1915.

(There is a fault with some of the pages on my web site which cuases the display of some data to be suppressed - Walter's is one such page - I am working to resolve this).

• 1 month later...