Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

REGIMENT ?

Guest smitz99

HI FOLKS,

THANKS FOR YOUR ANWERS, SO YOU THINK HE WAS IN THE ROYAL ENGINEERS, AFTER MANY HOURS TRAWLING THE INTERNET, I THOUGHT THAT I HAD FOUND HIS HAT BADGE, COPY ATTACHED, 8TH CITY OF LONDON BATTALION BECAUSE HE LIVED IN LONDON IT MADE SENSE, THAT HE ENLISTED THERE.

I THEN CHECKED THE PRO MEDAL INDEX, I FOUND A CARD FOR GEORGE ARMSTRONG ,SGT, IN THE 8TH CITY OF LONDON BATTALION.COPY ATTACHED.

QUESTIONS:

1. WOULD YOU HAVE A REGIMENT OF RE IN A BATTALION, WHAT DOES A BATTALION CONSIST OFF ?

2.HOW DO YOU GET FROM THE MEDAL INDEX TO DETAILS ON THE SOLDIER CONCERNED I.E. D.O.B., ARMY HISTORY ECT.?

3. WHEN YOU ENLISTED DID YOU HAVE ANY CHOICE ON WHAT REGIMENT YOU JOINED?

THIS FUN I HAVE READING THE SITE MOST AFTERNOON, IT IS ADDICTIVE.

CHEERS MICK :D

post-23-1098199179.jpg

Hi Mick

Yes I have to agree with the other two postings as a badge collector for over 30 years looks like Royal Engineers to me too.

On the PRO medal index card site there is a 45028 Corporal 2nd Class promoted to Sergeant George G Armstrong did your uncle have G as a middle initial?

Glad you are enjoying the site if you click onto the parent site using the link top left the Long Trail will guide you through how to research an ancestor in WW1. Also lots of information on how they Engineers fitted into the make-up of the British Army.

A Regiment in peace time (just before WW1 for example) could consist of 2 Regular battalions of roughly between 700-900 men organised into smaller companies usally 120-150. There would normally be one battalion overseas and one on home duties.

Then there would be one or two Millitia battalions made up of reservists who had recently left the army, then there would be associated volunteer battalions or after 1908 Territorial battalions made up of part time soldiers who usually had not previously seen active service. However regulars and militia where used as non commisioned officers (corporals sergeants etc) and Officers in these Volunteer or TF Battalions.

In war time a regiments battalions would swell out of proportion before WW1 the Kings Liverpool Regiment had 2 regular battalions, 2 millitia battalions and six volunteer/territorial battalions total 10 during the war this increased to over 50!

Keep visiting the site there are some very knowledgeable people on here who enjoy sharing their information freely, I have learned a huge amount from the forum experts.

Regards