Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Cross circa 1917

MotherMave

How can I find the citation for a Captain in the 7th Bn Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Here is his Flintshire WW1 Index Card.

Flintshire WW1 Index Card.Hawarden F36

Whitley, Charles, Warren Hall, Broughton, 7th Bn Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Captain. Period of Service:- September 1914 - April 1917. Military Cross Killed Battle of Arras 11th April 1917. Card signed ( and filled in) by Edmund Page. No date on card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mavis Williams.

20th October 1916:

Temp. 2nd Lt. Charles Whitley, K.R.R.C. For conspicuous gallantry in action. Though shot through the arm he remained in command of his company, advanced with it and captured and consolidated the enemy's trench. He remained on duty twelve hours after being hit till relieved.

A thread about him here -

Thank you once more, I have left a note on the thread, but am adding it here as well, in case the kind folk on the other thread see it. Kind regards, Mavis.

I know this is a long time ago looking at the beginning of the thread, but I am so grateful for the information as I am researching the men from the Hawarden War Memorial with the completed stories ( as best as I can) going on flintshirewarmemorials.com and I am at present writing Charles story, so I do hope that you see this Michelle and thanks to everyone else for all the information, some of which I knew and quite a lot I didn't!. Thanks again, Mavis Williams