Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Medal Rolls

chris.wight

Does anyone know if they still exist?

Full Canadian Service Records are available On Line,these include Medal Issue Cards:Check the Long Long Trail or Google "Canadian Service Records"

Attestation papers are on-line, unfortunately Canadian medal issue cards are not (I do wish they were! :) )

I asked the question because while looking at the Canadian Geneogical Centre (link) relating to WW1, I read this paragraph explaining what would be seen in a Memorial Cross Card (I would call it a Medal Index Card),

The other entries on the card containing dates refer to when the scroll and plaque were despatched to the next of kin by the government, the handwritten date referring to the medals and decorations (M) and the number C28869 being the number of the Medal Roll on which the awards are registered in the soldier's name.

Until reading this, I was unaware the C.E.F. had medal rolls just as the B.E.F. had. Knowing what has been said on the Forum about Medal Rolls sometimes having additional information, this could be an untapped source.