Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Claimed Medals

jezza

Is it possible to tell whether medals have ever been claimed and by whom.I know its too late to claim them now but may obtain replicas to mount with his picture.

I've found my Great Grandfathers roll card and it lists the three campaign medals he's was entitled to.

Also what does the writing under "Roll" and "Page" refer too.

30850_A000482-021291_zps639d29f9.jpg

Hi,

Have a look on the Long Long Trail site - see link at top left hand corner GWF front page. Answer to your question is there if you search.

Have you looked on Ancestry or FMP for his service papers?

Steve Y

Hi

The medal rolls themselves may give some more of an indication, but given no indication of a return on the MIC, I would say they were sent to NOK as indicated on his service records. That would be the only place you could find that information, so if they were destroyed, then you will not know.

Writing refers to medal rolls as shown on LLT

This is the reference you will need for the star - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4437923 , page 1475

and the pair- http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C4436358 , page 188

They are not online, you have to look them up by going there or paying someone to do it.

regards

Robert

NOK was Elizabeth Emma Dyer (nee Biggerstaff ?,wife (b 1887 Draycott Blockley,Worcs ?, married Q2 in 1906) she was resident with Ernest and three children at London Road,Moreton-in-the-Marsh in 1911. The medals would have normally gone to her,unless he specified differently.

Thanks for the help , looks like I may of drawn a blank with the medals, I think I may be on a long hunt to try and trace the them as Emma had had 6 children by 1915 and the family has since fragmented to various places in the world.

Would it be considered bad form if I purchased high quality replicas and had these engraved with details on for display purposes(I want to mount them in a case with his picture )

Personally I would not have copies impressed with his details, when mounted you cannot read them anyway, you could attach a small note to the reverse of the picture frame stating that the medals are copies. With age they will look ok. In my opinion. Regards. Ralph.

Thanks , I agree having just looked at how they are engraved......I'm thinking of now of mounting the picture of both him and his brother (Both killed near Festubert) together with little bit of info and mounting the medals below them as they were both entitled to the same medals.

Thanks again for the prompt response.

• 3 months later...

Well this is what I've had done. Pride of place in my man corner. It contains a large photo of both my Gt Uncle and Gt Grandad , cap badges from regiments, regiment silks , worcs sweetheart badge , small piece of information about them , where ,how ,when killed and where they are remembered and a set of replica medals.

Hope you approve.

10686355_10152764785708945_321840326_o_z

10712163_10152764783123945_545187555_o1_

Very professional job.

Well presented and is not overcrowded.

Well done.

I may have to go and redo my own displays now.

Simon.

Well done !

• 6 months later...

Just had this reworked as it was missing a couple of items , it now includes collar badges , wound stripe , overseas stripes , uniform buttons,medals for both men plus a picture of all the serving ww1 family members , pictures have now been colourised and enlarged.

Very pleased with it , I think its now complete.

11145957_10153272797738945_1428101526_n_

Excellent work (although personally I prefer the first frame).

I am now very tempted to do the same for my Great Gt Uncle; Grandfather and Father's medals - possibly a frame per person.

Did you have this done professionally or is it your own work?

Sepoy

That's what I call an excellent job. Well done and congratulations!

Anne

Excellent work (although personally I prefer the first frame).

I am now very tempted to do the same for my Great Gt Uncle; Grandfather and Father's medals - possibly a frame per person.

Did you have this done professionally or is it your own work?

Sepoy

No I did not mount it a friend done it for me at a very minimal cost £30 , I mounted the bits on khaki remnants and handed everthing over to him . I did think about framing per person too maybe something to do in the future . I also prefer the lighter mounting card of the 1st frame and may change it to this again if I frame per person.

No I did not mount it a friend done it for me at a very minimal cost £30 , I mounted the bits on khaki remnants and handed everthing over to him . I did think about framing per person too maybe something to do in the future . I also prefer the lighter mounting card of the 1st frame and may change it to this again if I frame per person.

I must say that I do prefer your lighter mount - it looks very stylish.

I am also very hesitant at displaying medals on walls like this, just in case of unwanted visitors, but at least your medals are copies which can be replaced if needs be. I may go down the same route, displaying copies, despite having the originals which can stay at the bank. Even my Wife, who has seen your post, has agreed that I can do the same (Now there is a first :) )

Sepoy

Looks wonderful! I think it is a lovely tribute. :)