Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Leonard Cresswell RFC/RAF - help needed please

mark1965

Hi - I am trying to do a bit of research on my uncle Leonard Creswell who served in WW1 believed to be RFC observer/gunner.

Leonard was a jeweller from Birmingham born 1888 in Birmingham - and died in 1920s. I don't really have any more information on him although he was probably working class/lower middle class.

Any information or pointers gratefully received. Thanks, Mark

The only Leonard Creswell I can find is 64262 2 AM Leonard Arthur Creswell who joined on 19th February 1917 and according to the RAF Muster Roll was a Fitter ( General ). His service record can be found at the National Archives in Kew in Air79/587

Steve

Only Leonard Creswell in the Airmens records in AIR 79 is Leonard Arthur:

Leonard Arthur Creswell AIR 79/587/64262

Hi - unfortunately his record has not been digitised - is there anywhere else I can look (unfortunately I live a long way from Kew) Nothing in MIC. Would he have been eligible for medals at all?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

He will not have a mic as he was RFC/RAF and served after 1915. His Service record will consist of 2 sides of one sheet and this will give you details of his service therefore telling you if he was entitled to medals or not. Your best bet is to ask if someone on the forum can get you a copy of the service sheet or failing that get a researcher to get a copy for you.

Steve

Mark,

Lee Richards of ARCRE offers an excellent photo-copying service of such documents. It would cost you 4 pounds 50 pence for him to copy Cresswell's AIR79 for you. See here for details:

http://arcre.com/

An excellent service which I have used numerous times.

Errol