Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Cost Variations

hazelclark

I am trying to locate the medals of my great uncle Robert Finlayson and this evening decided to look on Ebay. I was amazed at the variation in cost for what appear to me to be similar medals. A pair of medals, which is what my G. uncle would have been entitled to since he was killed within a few months of joining, vary in cost from 99 cents to $149.00. While it is hard to put a value on family medals can anyone tell me why such a huge difference?

Hazel

Are looking at the current auction price? The 99 cents is probably the last bid and there may still be days left for bids.

If you see Great War pairs for 99c buy them all up very quick, I will even lend you the money!

I am trying to locate the medals of my great uncle Robert Finlayson and this evening decided to look on Ebay. I was amazed at the variation in cost for what appear to me to be similar medals. A pair of medals, which is what my G. uncle would have been entitled to since he was killed within a few months of joining, vary in cost from 99 cents to $149.00. While it is hard to put a value on family medals can anyone tell me why such a huge difference?

Hazel

Hi Hazel,

Medals are a very complex and sometimes mystifying subject when it comes to valuations, and those awarded for WW1 throw up quiet drastic variaitions in price for what appear to be identical sets/singles. These variations depend upon a number of factors including the recipients regiment; whether or not he was a casualty; where he was killed;

his rank; condition of the medal/medals; how well collected that particular unit is and a host of other variations on all of these.

Basically, if you find the medals which you seek, if you are lucky enough that is, then you will have to pay the asking price--if you really want them.

I cannot really be any more specific unless you can give more details of your Great Uncle and where he he killed, etc.

Hope this helps,

Robert

ww1 kia Gordon Highlanders

a "standard" KIA pair sells for around £80 to infantry - but that really is ball park - the price then varies on who collects and wants (or needs) what.

I have sold pairs to the CG at auction who were KIA Nov 1918 for twice what I expected - because 2 people wanted them as they collect to that particular date

Thankyou for all the replies. As you say, you pay the asking price if you want the medals. I guess I had not realised there was such a variation and wondered what could cause it If you look on Ebay you will see what I mean about the 99cents. My great uncle was in 1st Gordons for a few months and was killed 29th Aug. 1918, so would have only the two. My grandfather's medals on the other hand would likely be quite expensive as he had 4 including the MM. I am not looking for his!

Hazel

MM groups are even more varying - one to the RA isn't worth as much in £££ as say one to the Cambridgeshire's ££££

unless Seaforths are particularly sort after probably around £650

Ebay is fantastic for giving medals a wider audience and a fair/decent price for sellers, the only people who complain about how high the prices are dealers who rely on the ignorance of the seller and to some extent the buyer.

the only people who complain about how high the prices are dealers who rely on the ignorance of the seller and to some extent the buyer.

This, I think, is true of rare books also. I think that dealers hope for a bargain on Ebay to sell at much higher prices elsewhere. Since looking for medals i have become aware of this.

Hazel

It is the same for all antiques, I visit various antique dealers and antique centres at least twice a week and consider myself quite good at knowing whats what, but my WTF! moment came a few years ago when on one of the antiques programs they looked at an Edwardian paper rack, up to that point they were priced £10 - £20, the 'expert' dealer looked at the price and declared that although it was out of their price range it was well worth the £150 ticket price, the ticket price was actually £15. Immediately the prices on these items was changed to 100 quid plus and now you don't see them for less than £140, they don't sell but sit with a ridiculous price because dealers like to keep some stock unsold.

Many sellers don't even bother to look to see exactly how much what they are selling is worth. I would of thought that was a necessary thing to do when selling any antique, to avoid not only looking stupid but also paying unnecessary listing fees, due to a ridiculous start price.