Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Palestine

barkalotloudly

Several years ago I purchased some very scarce trench maps of Palestine the accompanying information indicated there were some aerial photographs that were linked to these, having searched in vain and was wondering if any kind soul knows the location of any aerial photographs for Palestine 1917-1918

best regards

I have read that the Germans had major problems with aerial photos in summer in Palestine as the temperature at ground level was melting the emulsion on the glass photographic plates.

thanks for your replies...the frustrating thing is I think they were offered for sale in the classic 1988 Bertram rota catalouge

Hi,

The following link is to a Bavarian archive with hundreds of germen aerial photographs from Palestine.

Once entered - lots of sleeping hours are gone.....

http://www.gda.bayern.de/findmittel/854851d2-f9ef-4e86-905c-63888740ef12

Those "very scarce trench maps of Palestine" sound very interesting to me - any chance of receiving a scan of those?

Eran

Mate,

If I recall right there are many photos of Palestine in the war dairies of the AIF units that seved there, I am thinking of 1 Sqn AFC and other suport units.

S.B

• 2 weeks later...

very many thanks to those who replied the maps I purchased are not mounted on linen but are paper maps and they came with some useful notes compiled by one who was involved in making them,they are duplicated maps cannot think of the right description {when you used a drum and turned a handle!!!}

best regards John