Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM CITATION LOOK UP PLEASE

tullybrone

Hi,

I've just been shown shown some medals and Great War memorabilia by my neighbour. They originated with his grandfather Matthew Spark who served with 5th Border Regiment - a Cumberland Territorial Force unit.

His grandfather was awarded the DCM sometime in 1915 (May?) and attended an investiture in late 1915 or early 1916.

His service details are shown in a letter from February 1916 as Sgt 88 M. Spark, Number 16 Platoon, D Company, 5th Border Regiment.

Could I ask a member with access to look up the citation in the London Gazette or alternatively in the DCM citation book (author and book title escapes me at the moment) so I can let the family know as at the moment they don't know any details.

Thanks.

Steve Y

gazette 11.3.16

I looked in a book as the gazette web site is, in a word, sh*t - and I don't mean its closed!!!

Sjt.

M.SPARK

5th Bn. (Cumberland) TF

For conspicuous good work in the trenches. His cool and gallant example was of great value when many men had been wounded.

gazette 11.3.16

I looked in a book as the gazette web site is, in a word, sh*t - and I don't mean its closed!!!

Ian,

Thanks for the added info - I've just spent a frustrating few minuites on the LG site and agree with your comments!

Steve Y

88 Sjt. M.SPARK 5th Bn. (Cumberland) TF For conspicuous good work in the trenches. His cool and gallant example was of great value when many men had been wounded. 11.3.16

Hi,

Thanks so much for the response.

Can I ask did you get the information from LG or the book?

If it was LG do you think there will be more info ie date of "action" in the book?

Steve Y

Here is a link to the much-maligned London Gazette with Sjt Spark's citation in case you would like it. You will see that they have him as Spark, not Sparks.

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Sorry about my typo adding an s to his surname.

Steve Y

This any good ;)

post-15439-0-98460100-1402005115_thumb.j

The place looks to be Wieltje Fortuin Rd?

The only information I can offer regarding that day for the battalion is taken from Westlake's ' Battalions on the Western Front 1915'

To Brandhoek 10th May, camp between Vlamertinghe and Ypres 13th May. Began instruction in trenches near St. Jean 16th May. War Diary records heavy casualties from poison gas 24th May. Relieved and to Hospital Farm near Vlamertinghe 28th May.

Jon

Hi Jay Dubaya,

Thats great info. Thank you so much.

One of the pieces of memorabilia shown to me is a first edition of Wylly's Border Regiment WW1 history so I'll be be able to further research the location of the award from there.

Does anyone know if was unusual for an action in May 1915 to be subject of a London Gazette entry some 10 months later?

Steve Y

could have been the report of him getting the DCM was lost and then found, or any number of reasons for delay in getting put in

and the citation is not exactly date specific!

Thanks Ian.

DCM awarded to Sgt Spark for his actions at Ypres 24th May 1915 which was 5th Border "baptism of fire" as despite having been with BEF since Oct 1914 they had been on L o C duty till April 1915.

Many casualties due to German use of gas.

Steve Y