Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Naming

SteveE

Pals

This must have been asked before but was there a specific style and arrangement for the naming of medals?

Was it as I suspect, Regt. Number, Rank, Initials and Surname followed by unit, or was there some other naming pattern?

Furthermore how would Hampshire Regiment be shown? Was there an approved abbreviation for the Hampshire Regiment i.e. Hants. R., Hamps. R. etc. or would it have been impressed in full?

As always any and all help gratefully received.

Steve

Depending on the date of the naming{some late issues might be named differently}Hampshire is usually Impressed as "Hamp.R";However "Hamps.R" & no doubt "Hants.R" are found,It is unlikely that "Hampshire Rgt" will be found except possibly on early{pre 1914 TFEMs,etc; :D }

Your suggested naming arrangement is correct,some late/post war LSGCs,MSMs,MMs;DCMs;etc;Might also have other "Post Nominal" Letters of earlier Gallantry awards if held

Acting Ranks / W.S. Ranks sometimes follow Actual Ranks in brackets,RFR/RNR LS Medals carry two sets of Numbers,again one set preceded by a Letter denoting term of Service[A,B,C,D] in Brackets following the initial service Number

From those I've encountered, WW1-era medals to Hampshire Reg. are usually just 'Hamps. R.' after other details.

In 1946 they were granted the 'Royal' prefix, becoming (usually) the 'R Hamps'

Richard

Thanks for the replies and just the details I wanted.

It was a missing 1914 Star trio to 1/Hampshires that set me wondering how it would have been impressed and lo and behold the answer duly arrives :) .

The forum never ceases to amaze me.

Regards

Steve