Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Battlefield Trip

philary

Hello Everyone

Our long awaited and much looked forward to, battle field visit starts on Friday.

Crossing on Le Shuttle at 2.15 pm we go to Ieper for the Menin Gate Ceremony (22nd). Visiting De Kiltje & Gwalia cemetries 23rd am and hopefully Cambrai cemetery in the afternoon.

Sunday(24th) sees us around Ayette, Bienvilliers & Gezaincourt Cemetery Extension and travelling through Hebuterne & Serre area.

Monday: (24th) Thiepval

If any one is there pleae say hello we're the couple in a red Morgan

We shall be paying our respects to 3 Great Uncles listed below.

Hilary & Phil

Our long awaited and much looked forward to, battle field visit starts on Friday.

snipX-----

If any one is there pleae say hello we're the couple in a red Morgan

Hilary & Phil

Hilary & Phil,

My jealousy just tripled!! :D

Have a super trip and make the most of it.

Aye

Malcolm

Hilary and Phil,

I am Sooooooo Jealous! :P

Have a superb trip.

cheers Shelley :D

Hi

I am on The Somme 24th to 27th this month. There will be 3 of us age 13, 50 and 79 ( son, me and my Dad) in a blue honda Accord, will say hello if see you.

Tony

You are fortunate to be at The Menin gate, one day after my daughter's school trip there !

Seriously though, I just know you will enjoy it. The "first time" on the Western Front is never forgotten.

Bon voyage en France (et à Cambrai:very nice city)

to day it's a nice weather here. Hope the same next Sayurday

JPK02

To Everyone

Thank you for all your encouragement. Will try and make Cambrai for a late lunch on Saturday. It's going to be a roller-coaster of emotions. Look out for the photos on our return.

Phil & Hil

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone again

We have returned and as you all said it was an amazing experience. We visited all the Great Uncles' graves and found it moving and inspirational. The cemeteries are truly beautiful and so well kept. Each one possessed a sereness and tranquilty that was awesome. I am in the process of updating my website with all the photos!

The French loved the Morgan! Even the Gendarmes waved and smiled at us. We shall definitely return soon.

Hil & Phil

PS We made it to Vancouver Corner spot on 4 pm on Friday!

Dear Hil and Phil,

Did you see us at Vancouver Corner? My wife sang 'O, Canada' and we unfurled the flag. It was a beautiful, sunny afternoon. It was around 4pm-we have the evidence on video and still photos! Sorry we didn't meet up. Glad you had a great trip.

post-12-1099423709.jpg

;) Hi was that you in Albert on Monday around lunchtime?

you looked the part if it was, I would love to tour the Somme area in such a car!

tony (just a bit green!)

Hi everyone

Yes it was us in Albert, Monday afternoon! We were looking for somewhere to eat, no-one told us the shops aren't open until Monday afternoon, oh well we will know for next time! Glad you liked the gear, it is the only way to keep warm, because we never put the hood up!

Mark - We must have got there as you left! We saw your posy and read the tribute. We passed Vancouver Corner again about 10.00 pm that night and it was lit up, it was even more beautiful, highlighting in sharp relief, the carving - very moving. Enjoyed your photos!

I'm updating my website with my photos, should be uploaded next week, can anyone tell me please how you put a photo in one of these posts?!!!

Hilary

Hello Everyone again!

I have just managed to upload my latest page of my website, giving the account of part of our first trip the battlefields. (More will follow next week!)

If you want to read it and see our photos, please log on to

http://www.philary.co.uk

Down the left hand site there are set of links, click on Austin Sutton. There are a couple of things that need sorrecting, which will be done asap. Let me know if you think there are any inaccuracies!!!

Speak to you soon

Hil & Phil