Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Graves of 3 soldiers from the Kings Royal Rifles

telgreen1

Currently transcribing my great grandad's war diary parts of which are very sad reading. Around 28th or 29th August (don't know what year) it appears that he may have been involved in digging up the graves of three soldiers of the 7th King's Royal Rifles who had been killed in or around Ypres. The names, although hard to read appear to be G Connor, Lee and Flint. He had also been digging trenches just behind the firng line and burying both Britsh and German troops killed in action. Was reinternment part of soldiers daily activity? He was transferred to the Labour Corps towards the end of the war after being gassed and wounded whilst with the DLI. Would anyone be able to tell me if the names of these soldiers are on the rolls of honour anywhere. From his diary he was very close to breaking point at times not surprisingly if this was part of what he had to do.

3 possibles - Daniel O'Connor A/569 , James Lee A/2787 , William James Flint A/567

G Connor may be O'Connor above.

All of these are 7th battn Kings Royal Rifle Corps killed in action 30 June 1915 . But if commemorated on Ypres Menin Gate officially no known graves.

Hi Telgreen1

I have had a quick look at the names of the soldiers of the 7th KRRC, A/567 Rfn William James Flint KIA 30/06/1915, A/2787 Rfn James Lee KIA 30/06/1915

there is a James Connor Rfn R/16458 who was KIA 30/06/1916 ? according to SDGW, Ancestry, he is the only man of that name KIA from the KRRC

hope this helps

Dave

Rfn James Lee is buried in YPRES Town Cemetery Extension

telgreen1, does it give any hint of where these men were reburied?

Hello Chris. No all it says was that he had arrived at Ypres from Wateau? at about 10pm, describing the devastation from the constant day by day shelling and then goes on to say he had dug out the three soldiers graves. My great grandfather was a lay preacher (not an official chaplain though) so the incident regarding these brave soldiers obviously must have struck a chord with him.

Thank you for all of the responses received so far. The information does seem to confirm the content of the diary. Grateful for any further comments from members and will remember the soldiers mentioned in thoughts and prayers.

If one is buried in YPRES Town Cemetery Extension why not the other two? Maybe their two graves were lost again?