Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Battalion, Sherwood Forester Regiment.

GrahamC

Hi pals

Having finally tracked down one of my last few Buxton lads I am hoping my S.F. pals can add a bit more to his story.

:poppy: Sgt. William Chamberlain PERKIN died on 18 May 1915, serving with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and is buried at Le Treport. His Service Papers show he enlisted at Winnipeg, Canada on the 6th January 1915 and state that he had previously served for 6 years with the 2nd Battalion, Sherwood Forester Regiment. In view of this prior service he must have been treated as a returning Reservist and shipped straight to the Front, where he died just 4 months later.

However, in 1911, living in Buxton, he was employed as a "House Furnisher". At some time in the next two or three years William and his wife Elizabeth (married 1906) emigrated to Canada.

Can anyone help with this earlier service with the N & D, please? i.e. when and where he served?

Ever hopeful - many thanks for looking

Graham

His Canadian record shows him as born 1878 but British records show 1876 . Could he have claimed to be 2 years younger on enlistment in Winnipeg ?

Died of wounds received at Polygon Wood.

From Canadian Library & Archives - Collections Canada- Pvte 51373 William Chamberlain Perkin , Princess Patricias Canadian Light Infantry . Died of wounds 18 May 1915 , gunshot wound leg amputated at No 3 General Hospital Le Treport

If he was born in 1876 then he well may have served in Boer War. I thought the papers for men pre WW1 could be accessed at Kew (not sure if online). I have all of my Gt Grandfathers from there and he served in Zulu war and then was recalled for Boer War.

His reserve may have been up and he enlisted in PPCLI and was shipped over with them. My wife's favourite regiment for some reason!

It was made up of 90% recruits from Britain and most had served previously In UK forces. As he was obviously wounded and died later, he may have copped it at Bellewaarde Ridge as part of Battle of Frenzenburg 8 -13th May. The PPCLI were actually in a Briitsh Div at the time, 80th Bde, 27th Division and the brigade were in the area of Bellewaarde Lake. The PPCLI were hammered all day on 8th May and at 11.30 pm they were at last relieved and Lt Niven (in command) brought out 3 other officers and 150 O/Rs (most with wounds). Lt Niven joined in August 1914 as a private.

The Div commander said in his report to Corps ' The PPCLI were relieved that night, but only a remnant of the regiment was left. No regiment could have fought with greater determination or endurance. many would have failed where they succeeded'

Regards

Steve

Thanks guys for the info.

'The Buxton Advertiser' on the 22nd May 1915, reported William's death in Hospital by saying that "... hopes had been buoyed by reports that .... (he) ... was making satisfactory progress ...", although: "... one leg had been amputated, and it was thought the crisis had been passed, but, another operation was deemed necessary and this had been performed.

He bore his suffering uncomplainingly and with a stoicism that was characteristic of the brave fellow many of us in Buxton personally know that he was
."

Hi pals

Having finally tracked down one of my last few Buxton lads I am hoping my S.F. pals can add a bit more to his story.

:poppy: Sgt. William Chamberlain PERKIN died on 18 May 1915, serving with Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and is buried at Le Treport. His Service Papers show he enlisted at Winnipeg, Canada on the 6th January 1915 and state that he had previously served for 6 years with the 2nd Battalion, Sherwood Forester Regiment. In view of this prior service he must have been treated as a returning Reservist and shipped straight to the Front, where he died just 4 months later.

However, in 1911, living in Buxton, he was employed as a "House Furnisher". At some time in the next two or three years William and his wife Elizabeth (married 1906) emigrated to Canada.

Can anyone help with this earlier service with the N & D, please? i.e. when and where he served?

Ever hopeful - many thanks for looking

Graham

Graham, I am a little confused here. There was a William Chamberlain Perkins who served with the 4th Battalion Derbyshire Regt (Notts Militia) during the Boer War who came from Buxton but he died due to wounds in June 1900. There were quite a few from the Perkins family from Buxton who served in the Boer War and WW1. My question is have you got the correct W.C. Perkins, but I do have more details on this man. :unsure: BRONNO.

Hi Bronno

Good to hear from you again. Firstly I'm attaching my photo of the Boer War Memorial in Buxton Town Hall - currently, they won't let me near it to take a better one without a letter from the Queen! - 'elf 'n' safety; more than my jobs worth to let you up there, etc. - 'up there' being half way a staircase used by hundreds of Council staff every day ...... :angry2: Also, a copy of the description of the Memorial I did some years ago for the NIWM.

As the Memorial commemorates those who served it look like Sgt C. W. PerkinS was killed, but there is a Cpl. C. W. Perkin listed on the Roll of Honour. I suspect he is my man and it is to this service that his Attestation Papers refer.

As for him being the right man - his CEF Attestation Papers - here - has him born in Staffs. - the Census I used has him in Penkridge; married to "Elizabeth" - he had married Elizabeth, née Kirkland, in the March quarter 1906, and they were living at Ashbourne House, Bridge Street, Buxton, and the 1901 Census has him employed as a "Cabinet Maker" as does his CEF Papers.

In short, I was as satisfied as I could ever be that I had found my man! You will see from his Canadian papers that he was claiming 6 yrs with the 2nd Volunteer Battalion SF - which must have satisfied the authorities as he enlisted in Jan 1915, and was killed barely 4 mths later.

Don't know if this clears it up or muddies it even more - but as always any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Graham

post-37838-0-53519100-1401982100_thumb.j

post-37838-0-06617500-1401982143_thumb.j

Graham, here is something to keep you busy for a while, I'm still a little :blink:.

4493 Pte Clifford William mentioned in the 2nd Vol Bn Sherwood Foresters Gazette April 1st 1896 as enlisted and taken on strength on the 24th March 1896 and being posted to "D" Company. He was the son of 7409 Sgt William Chamberlain Perkins who was killed in the Boer War at Roodewal/Rhenoster River June 1900.

Clifford also served in the Boer War but with the Royal Engineers attached to the 24th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers with number 4622. He later went served with the Mercantile Marine and served through WW1 and died at Sea, of Influenza on the 11th October 1918, son of Sgt William Henry and Laura Blanch Perkins of Buxton. Buried Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

7409 Sgt William Chamberlain Perkins .......Born 18th March 1857 and Married 1st January 1879, (they had four children, Robert William, Clifford William, Laura Elizabeth and Sarah Ann. Clifford William was a member of the 2nd VB enlisting in March 1896 and served with "K" Company he served in the Boer War at the same time as his father but with the Royal Engineers attached to the 24th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers. He later joined the Mercantile Marine as a Marconi Radio operator and died at sea. William Henry was an inlayer of marble Sgt Perkins Enlisted in 2/VB Sherwood Foresters on the 17th November 1890 and was a proficient signalling sergeant instructor with the regimental number 3115. Lance Sgt and resigned and struck off strength 1st November 1895 and was then with "D" Company.

In May 1896 he re-enlisted as a Private taken on strength and posted to "D" Company, permitted to assume former rank of Sgt in "D" Coy for duty with Signalling Section. Served in the Boer War with 4th Battalion, proceeding to South Africa in January 1900 having transferred to 4th Derbyshire Regiment sailing on the S.S. Umbria. Born Penkridge, Staffs, enlisted Manchester and lived Buxton, Derbyshire.

Husband of Laura Blanch Perkins (nee Stevenson) of 1, Dale Terrace, Buxton, Derbyshire, Granddaughter K.B. Cresswell, The Gables, Dale Head, Biggin, Buxton, Derbyshire. BRONNO.

:blink: ... me too!

That's going to take some sorting out - I'll get back to you

Thanks (I think!)

Graham

Hello again, Bronno

Well - in trying to help me with one problem you seem to have solved a different one - that of another of my untraceables named on the Buxton Memorial - S.M.R. C.W. Perkin. So far I haven't been able to trace him at all in CWGC / SDGW etc records. I have traced his genealogy, parents etc. but no military records.

I suppose if he was in the Mercantile Marine, serving as a wireless operator, and died at sea of influenza, he wouldn't appear on the 'official' records. Just need to find someway of getting a photo of his grave in Nova Scotia!!

So, once again, many (double) thanks for all the extra info
Graham

Edit: He was buried in Hardwood Hill Cemetery, Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia on the 14th October 1918, Grave number: Range A, Division 18, Lot 25

Graham, not got a picture of the grave but.....................

post-30693-0-07111300-1402233296_thumb.j

Brilliant ..... once again, warmest thanks

Graham

• 1 year later...
Guest failtemm

To Whom It My Concern,

I came across this Forum while searching my wife's family buried in Hardwood Hills Cemetery, Sydney Cape Breton. I currently live in Thornhill, Ontario but I am originally from Halifax. I go back home every summer and last year checked out the cemetery for soldiers mentioned in this Forum. I only had a couple of hours to check and since it was the weekend the office was closed. I was not able to locate the gravestones but there were several older gravestones that had been toppled over. I will be heading back in two weeks and will try again. If I locate the gravestones I will pass on pictures and any information that I can find.

Malcolm Mac Neil

Hi Malcolm

That would be great - I would greatly appreciate a grave photo - thanks for looking

Graham

• 1 month later...

I have located the gravestone of CW PERKIN, by fluke as it was not where the cemetary stated it was. Apparently when they transcribed the old burial records a typo placed him in Grave Range A but he is actually in A1. The other thing to note is that records show he was born in Dec and died in Oct but the gravestone says November for both. All other information appears to be correct. I have tried to upload a picture but the file is too big. If someone wants a copy I can email them one. My email is malcolm_macneil@yahoo.ca. Listed below is what the gravestone states:

In Memory of

Clifford W. PERKIN

son to Wm H. & Laura PERKIN

Born at

Buxton Eng Nov 3, 1880

Died at Sea Nov 11, 1918

One Voice of Welcome Hushed

And Evermore One Farewell Word

Unspoken