Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KGB

With the centenary approaching are any Irish counties (north or south) doing anything to commemorate 1914? Cavan has a two day events (bits of everything, lectures, poetry readings, talks) on 1914-18. It seems that politicians have hijacked the whole thing in order to get sound bites. Am I wrong? The Cavan action centres on the county town of Cavan, ten miles south of the border.

Kilkenny are bringing out a book 'The Kilkenny War Dead', All proceeds of which will go the proposed Memorial in St Marys.

Kilkenny are bringing out a book 'The Kilkenny War Dead', All proceeds of which will go the proposed Memorial in St Marys.

I would be interested in that - of course one must define "Kilkenny dead". I am guessing enlistment with an address in Kilkenny. My paternal lot have connections to the county but are counted as Waterford or Wexford.

New memorials have been erected in both Waterford and Wexford in recent times. Google it and have a look.

New memorials have been erected in both Waterford and Wexford in recent times. Google it and have a look.

There is a new-sih memorial in Cavan but in typical local fashion half the names are wrong.

WW1 Poster Exhibition at the Ulster Museum in Belfast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27575821

(KGB - You are quite correct - politicians, whoever they are, always tend to hijack things)

Anne

Some good graphics on the posters. As you say the ubiquitous presence of politicians can edge out those whose families gave so much.