Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Chain mail vest. Do any members have knowledge of this please?

keith23

Hi everyone,

i've had the chance to get into my collection and photgraph/catalogue alot of it at long last, but in doing so i've found some of the weird and wonderful that i've put in boxes over the years without really getting to the bottom of them!

This chain mail vest is a case in point as i thought it was used by a tankie, as i'd seen the helmet with the mail visor before, but now i've tried to find more info or photo's of it in use i've found nothing like it and others i've asked haven't either so i'm turning to members to see if anyone has any knowledge of mail like this please?

I've photographed it worn on top of a tunic, (approx 38" chest), so you can see the dimensions both front and rear. It must be intended for frontal protection, being the larger area of coverage, whilst the shorter back is more to do with a counterweight for balance i would imagine. The overall weight is 3.1kg.

It's construction is from machine made split rings measuring approx 15mm across and these are densly and expertly interwoven to give flexibility and protection. The age of this piece, plus the weight and construction would rule out to be any type of film or theatrical prop i think as they're so much lighter etc so actors can swan about, plus the design doesn't give the all round protection i associate with Robin Hood or Henry V.

Whilst researching and talking to others i've now learnt about private purchase officers tunics lined with steel plates, (something i'd never heard of before), and so much more about tankies helmets and German body armour etc that trying to find out about this vest has lead me to so much more so it's all been well worthwhile but i've simply run out of ideas so am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction?

I'll add some close ups of the rings so you can really see them.

Thank you very much in advance.

Keith

Close ups.

post-91172-0-30460700-1401790162_thumb.j

post-91172-0-86457400-1401790173_thumb.j

post-91172-0-27490300-1401790195_thumb.j

post-91172-0-85092000-1401790614_thumb.j

post-91172-0-73877700-1401790620_thumb.j

Hi Keith,

The best book on the subject you ask about is "Helmets and Body Armour in Modern Warfare" by Bashford Dean published in 1920. I don't have time to do any further research and in the time available I can't find a mail vest such as yours there. However, Bashford Dean does say at page 58:

"The writer learns from good authority that a well-known armorer in Paris derived, until about 1908, a substantial part of his income from making shirts of chain mail which were shipped to South America and Africa for actual service."

Good luck with your research.

Regards,

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for that information........i don't know that book at all so will see what a search for it and the S. America/Africa connection may bring up?

I'll report all success here.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Keith,

I think a reproduction of Bashford Dean's book is available from Amazon at reasonable cost.

Regards,

Michael.

Michael,

i found an electronic copy on line and was astounded by some of the armour in the photos..............i never would have guessed such gear was worn or experimented with so recently! What a brilliant book and one i'm definately going to read. The modern copy seems to be very badly reproduced so i'm going to stick with the online scan but thank you for the suggestion.

I have nothing of any value to add but I have long though that, given the medieval nature of trench warfare, this would make perfect sense.

• 4 weeks later...

It may not have been effective against bullets, shrapnel or grenade fragments but would probably have been very effective against bayonets and other cutting weapons.

With reference to Dean, he discusses a bullet proof collar made from multiple layers of silk, and gives the total quantity issued to the BEF as many thousands. Has anyone ever seen a surviving example ?

Cheers

I have a vague memory that there is a picture in one of the older Ospey books. I'll see if I can find my copy.

• 4 years later...

here is a german chain armor, as i got it and display it in my collection.5ac86deb81237_DeutscheSchutzwesteWW1a.jpg.fd422ee30fba3b181f5bd029c7b1881e.jpg5ac86df7d9a88_DeutscheSchutzwesteWW1d.jpg.a82a8c3fb29a842f5f1361f87c355f0f.jpg5ac86e0903c9a_DeutscheSchutzwesteWW1f.thumb.jpg.2dbf184638cf5a5235b4e04ab96eb829.jpg5ac86e1382dd5_DeutscheSchutzwesteWW1.jpg.03b88055909afa11b1bc7d50b7aedfe1.jpg5ac86e25b6025_DeutscheSchutzwesteWW1e.jpg.e9482d88cfae3f4c4fe60adb14d41ce5.jpg5ac86e2d29601_DeutscheSchutzwesteWW1g.jpg.37852024b776f84fb1077961a9bf6e6e.jpg

Zuluwar,

What does it weigh?  Just curious.

Mike.

Mikey, i have to weight it and let you know

but is heavy enought

i could say about 4-5 kilos

2 minutes ago, zuluwar2006 said:

Mikey, i have to weight it and let you know

but is heavy enought

i could say about 4-5 kilos

Many thanks,

Mike.