Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Memorial Photo

CROONAERT

I took this photo quite a few years ago (late '80s), but didn't label it up. I seem to remember it being an original battlefield memorial from the Cambrai battlefield that had been transported "home", but can't remember where I took the photo. I think it's in Scotland, but can't remember exactly where.

Can anybody help, and if so, do you know if it is still in situ. (I recall it being near a bus-station?)

Thanks,

Dave.

post-19-1098062533.jpg

Dave

It looks like the cross outside Dingwall railway station. It was brought back from a battlefield as far as I know. I have not been up there recently but expect it is still there. A memorial to a Glasgow born VC is also there. The Seaforths left for France from this station. Can you post again, better quality?

Addendum

It is the Cross brought back from Cambrai at Dingwall station. A picture of it is at the link below

Cambrai Memorial, Dingwall

It is the Cross brought back from Cambrai at Dingwall station.

Cheers, thanks for that! It is indeed - I remember now . I had a really good holiday there one September.

Thanks again,

Dave. :D

A memorial to a Glasgow born VC is also there.

The VC memorial is to Sgt John Meikle VC MM 4th Seaforths.

The memorial was originally placed near where Meikle worked before the war outside Glasgow By the 1960s though it was getting vandalised so often it was moved to the home of the 4th Seaforths, Dingwall, so it would be looked after. Meikle's VC is in the local museum as well I believe.

The Dingwall War Memorial is pretty impressive with a chap throwing a grenade on top of it. Dingwall also has a memorial Cross to the Seaforths who fell in the Boer War and a tower to Major General Hector MacDonald of Omdurman fame. I really must visit it one day.

Cheers

Adam

The last time I was in Dingwall was the late 80's and I must have missed that one. I did get a picture of the town war memorial though.

post-19-1098227973.jpg

I finally made it to Dingwall yesterday. I managed to make a small detour on the road South to take some snaps.

Here is the Meikle VC monument outside the station...

post-19-1098736483.jpg

... and here's another shot of the 4th Seaforth Memorial. The Meikle and Seaforth memorials are back-to-back outside the station and you can see the top of the Meikle memorial in this photo.

The 'bulls horns' bit of metal seen on the photo at the top of this thread has fallen off and is now sitting at the base of the memorial.

Cheers

Adam

post-19-1098736729.jpg