Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers Rank on medals

olosangus

I have a pair to a fairly common name with the rank Capt engraved on them. The man I was led to believe the medals were awarded to was actually a 2nd Lieut. , Temporary Captain and Acting Major as at the war's end. His mic shows 2 Lieut. and T/Major - the latter having the cross by it that usually indicates the rank engraved on the medals.

Would a Temporary Rank ever be engraved - any ideas from the above which rank should be on them ?

Thanks. Simon

If the MIC has the cross (mark) on the BWM and VM and also on the rank of Major then the medals should be named to a Major. If they are actually named to a Captain then I would look in WWI Army Lists to see if there was another officer with the same surname and initials who held the rank of Captain, because the medals are probably hi,s rather than the officer for whom you have the MIC.

I would also mention that WWI medals were impressed, not engraved.

Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks Dick, yes use the wrong words , they are impressed. What set me wondering was that I have never come across an offiecrs medal showing T/Major - I presume that what you are saying is that although the mic shows t/major - what would have been out on the medasl was just major ?

Simon

In my experience that is correct. I have numerous medals to officers who held Temporary and Acting Rank in the Royal Artillery and not one of them has the words Acting or Temporary prefixed to the rank in the naming of their medals. Medals to Canadian officers on the other hand often have the prefix. I have medals to Canadian officers named as Acting Captain, Acting Major and Temporary Major.

Regards. Dick