Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Ribbon

Raster Scanning

I am a collector of early Bedfordshire pictures. I recently aquired this of a tea party in Riseley.

When I inspected it closely I noticed the 2 soldiers, one who appears to have a medal ribbon and what I at first thought was a Bedfordshire Rgt badge.

The more I look, the more I have convinced myself this is not quite right for a Bedfords badge.

I want to try and identify the soldier, based on the assumption he was a local village lad.

I have my own ideas but would welcome thoughts on date, unit and medal.

Many thanks.

John.

post-23-1098054297.jpg

Close up

post-23-1098054356.jpg

Is not not the Beds or the Beds Yeos but kinda looks like a Suffolk badge with the straight bottom and the shape, but? The medal ribbon....maybe a Temporance Medal (unofficial of course) but at a tea party? Why not?

That being written, now I am due to be shot down in shot down in flaming colors....

DrB

;)

Looks a bit like an MC ribbon but on a Lance Corporal?? I know of CSMs getting MCs but no lower rank NCOs. Stumped otherwise, would be interested to know...

Cheers

DrB/DNH

Thanks for your thoughts.

This is what I think, the picture was taken after the winter of 1915/16 when this soft type cap was introduced, but before the end of the war (or only just after) as there are no service medal ribbons on show.

I am certain the badge is Suffolk and the shoulder title may just show he was a territorial.

I have seen medal ribbons appear many different colours in old pictures and I suspect this may be the DCM.

I have contacted a historian from the village, he tells me that he also has this picture and it was taken at a Moravian tea party some time in the 1920s, he has no idea of any names.

As I stated above, I suspect it is slightly earlier than this but may be wrong.

Interested to see what others think.

Thanks.

John.

I can`t add to the erudition expressed above. Just musing, though. I suppose it is possible for a Lance Jack to sport a (legal) MC ribbon, if he won it as a WO and then got busted ? Phil B

Guest Hangleton

The Welsh Divisional Ammunition column were in Kempston Beds until December 1915, and the people of Kempston "kindly gave up their evenings to entertain the men of this unit", and "did their best to entertain them and make them comfortable in every way".

Could this picture be of a similar "entertainment" for soldiers based somewhere near Riseley, and therefore not a local man?

Just a thought

:)

I am certain the badge is Suffolk and the shoulder title may just show he was a Territorial.

If this is the case then it would appear to be a "Cambs/Suffolk" Title[11th Bn,Suffolk Regt TF];this title had a straight top:~"Cambs" with "Suffolk" Curved beneath it,Also if taken just after the end of the war it could be the British War Medal Ribbon;to which he would have been entitled & "put up" whilst awaiting authourisation of the Allied Victory Medal???