Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sarajevo - where it all began.

River97

Evening all,

I am about to take a well earned break and will be in the Balkans at the end of June. I will be in Sarajevo on 1 July (three days after the 100th anniversary). I see from other posts, I will not be the only member.

If anyone would like a photo or two of the site around the Latin Bridge, please pop me a line and I will do my best.

Cheers Andy.

Andy - I'll be there on 28th June and hope to be in the exact spot where it all began -100 years to the minute.

Len

Len,

I saw your topic, that's why I said it looks like I would not be the only one.

I will be in Croatia on the 28th, in the little village of Slano, just north of Dubrovnik. It's more of a pilgrimage than holiday. I was there 21 years ago as an aid worker during the war. I am going home, 21 years too long.

As for Sarajevo, may as well visit the scene while we are there. Staying about 10 minutes walk from there. While we are on the subject, is there any other WW1 sites in the city?

Cheers Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

Andy, just saw your reply. We (wife & I) will be there on the 27th & 28th, Sarajevo that is. If you are indeed anyone else on the GWF is in the vicinity we are keen to catch up for a drink. I don't think Sarajevo saw much action during the war apart from being the short fuse that started it.

P.S. Does anyone know the exact time that the assassination took place on 28th June 1914?

Len

P.S. Does anyone know the exact time that the assassination took place on 28th June 1914?

There seems to be some slight contradictions, but my reading is the shooting took place very shortly after 10.45am, with Sophie being killed almost immediately, and the Archduke expiring shortly before 11am:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand_of_Austria

"At 10:45 a.m., Franz Ferdinand and Sophie got back into the motorcade, once again in the third car...

After learning that the first assassination attempt had been unsuccessful, Princip thought about a position to assassinate the archduke on his return journey, and decided to move to a position in front of a nearby food shop (Schiller's delicatessen), near the Latin Bridge.[75] At this point the Archdukes' motorcade turned off the Appel Quay, mistakenly following the original route which would have taken them to the National Museum. Governor Potiorek, who was sharing the second vehicle with the Imperial couple, called out to the driver to reverse and take the Quay to the hospital. Driver Lojka stopped the car close to where Princip was standing, prior to backing up. The latter stepped forward and fired two shots... Both victims remained seated upright, but died while being driven to the Governor's residence for medical treatment. As reported by Count Harrach, Franz Ferdinand's last words were "Sophie, Sophie! Don't die! Live for our children!" followed by six or seven utterances of "It is nothing." in response to Harrach's inquiry as to Franz Ferdinand's injury.[80] These utterances were followed by a long death rattle. Sophie was dead on arrival at the Governor's residence. Franz Ferdinand died 10 minutes later."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavrilo_Princip

"Princip was standing near Moritz Schiller's cafe, when he spotted Franz Ferdinand's car as it drove past, having taken the wrong turn. After realizing the mistake, the driver put his foot on the brake, and began to reverse the car. In doing so the engine of the car stalled and the gears locked, giving Princip his opportunity. Princip stepped forward, drew his pistol (a .380 caliber FN Model 1910[22]), and at a distance of about 1.5 m (five feet), fired twice into the car. Franz Ferdinand was hit in the neck and Sophie (who instinctively covered Franz's body with her own after the first shot) in the abdomen. They both died before 11:00 am."

Thanks. 10.45am seems to be the consensus. then 67 more days of Willy Nilly for all hell to break loose.

Sarajevo - about 11:00am 28th June 2014 which is about 100 years to the hour that the assassination of Ferdinand triggered the start of WW1.

Today at the 100 year mark there was an odd assembly of people. There was absolutely no official event at the assassination location however several hundred people gathered there. A motorcade went past which could have contained the president of Austria but no-one shot at him. I met people from Australia, Canada, England, Belgium and USA. There were people there at least from Italy, Austria, Germany, France, Bosnia and probably many other countries whose language I couldn't understand. A few small groups had banners. A period car and two people dressed as the Archduke and his wife aroused a lot of interest and photos. The attached photo shows the car in the more or less position of the assassination. Gavrilo was on the footpath to the right.

We all sort of milled about for a few hours. About 6 wreaths were laid at time by individuals - mainly for Ferdinand and Sophie. All in all it was a pretty weird gathering with in the end just a collection of people there for their own personal reasons.

Tonight the road is blocked off and there looks like there will be music and a light show.

Len

post-35120-0-63538600-1403985645_thumb.j

I met people from Australia, Canada, England, Belgium and USA. There were people there at least from Italy, Austria, Germany, France, Bosnia and probably many other countries whose language I couldn't understand.

Add Singapore and Brazil (during the World Cup!) to the list of nations represented by visitors that made the pilgrimage. I guess I better mention Scotland attended as well and I heard a distinctive Welsh accent at one stage.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Edited: I forgot our guide was Dutch (and a Balkans PhD student).

• 1 month later...

A little late but here a couple of photo's from the scene. The Plaque and a replica car.

Cheers Andy.

post-41030-0-50537800-1407361601_thumb.j

post-41030-0-97748500-1407361578_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

Some years ago I made a visit to Konopiste chateau, near Prague, which was once the residence of Franz Ferdinand. There was not an inch of wall-space that was not covered by hunting trophies, and I came away with the distinct impression that the First World War had perhaps been started not by a Serbian nationalist but by an animal rights fanatic.

• 3 months later...

This was the original plaque in 1982.  They even had Princip's foot positions in the pavement.

CN-6144.JPG

CN-6147.JPG

CN-6148.JPG