Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Henry Davidson 9th DLI

Peterhastie

Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this mans service before he was killed 21.7.1918 at the Battle of Tardenois. No service record exists, that I could find. The only thing I have, apart from his mic, is his medal roll entry.

As you can see he has several entries for the 9th DLI and one for the 50th Div Canteen. What would account for so many entries, wounded etc.

Sorry about the size of the images

post-28237-0-21496800-1401555404_thumb.j

post-28237-0-85685700-1401555427_thumb.j

I have limited records on the 9th DLI but his number would suggest he enlisted at the very end of August / 1st week in September 1914.

Craig

Peter,his name is recorded on the war memorial in St Cuthberts church Bensham so he must have lived in the parish he does not appear on the Borough memorial

held at the library

Thanks Craig and Steve, I also have him commemorated on the memorial for the North Eastern Railway at Forth Banks, Newcastle, which is where he worked as a Railway Porter.

He lived at 356 St Cuthberts St, Gateshead

Craig, did you use the SWB list to calculate his enlistment date, or do you have other resources

Craig, did you use the SWB list to calculate his enlistment date, or do you have other resources

I have a spreadsheet of 6th DLI men but along the way I have had to build up some records on the 7th,8th and 9th DLI - overall the information is from a range of sources but for the 9th it's mainly from surviving service records and SWB rolls.

I can likely refine the date to the 1st week in September 1914.

Craig

post-51028-0-85908700-1401646864_thumb.j