Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Cain RFA

easily_confused

Hi, I am doing some research for a friend whose grandfather was Frederick Cain who was a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery territorial force, service number 890360 14th Bde.

He died 3rd October 1917 and is buried in Zuydcoote Military Hospital.

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction for looking at what the 14th Bde were doing around the 3rd October 1917.

Thank you in advance for any help given

regards

Ros

Hi Ros

Frederick Cain, born Harpenden Hert's April 1888, enlisted Hertford.

14th Brigade R.F.A. (T.F.) Rank Gunner. Number 890360.

14th Brigade, originally "C" and "F" Batteries under 7th Division September 1914 to February 1917, then became Army Brigade.

Battle of Polygon Wood (third Battle of Ypres) 26th September - 3rd October 1917. Second Army (Plumer).

"Fiercest fighting prevailed in the sector between Reutelbeek and Polgon Wood, on 30th September two German attempts to advance with

Flammenwerfer (Flamethrowers) were followed by five other attacks in this are, these attacks were repulsed with great loss" (L.L.T.)

Frederick was the son of Arthur and Annie Cain, and Married Kate Pearce 27t August 1913.

Hope this helps

All the best

Tony

Ros, sorry to add to the fog but I am a little doubtful that he was with 14th Brigade as mentioned above. I know it is what the CWGC register says but Zuydcoote would be an unusual place to evacuate a wounded man serving with 7th Division at that time. This 14th Brigade was of the Royal Horse Artillery. There was another 14th Brigade, of the Royal Field Artillery. I just wonder whether that unit was in a more likely place for Frederick to go to Zuydcoote - unfortunately I do not have a copy of its war diary and it is not one that has been digitised. If any other forum pal has a copy and could look it up, it might at least serve to eliminate it as a possibility.