Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

grandfather's mystery

lizzie10

Hi everyone, I haven't been on the forum for a long while, as I thought I had solved all problems concerning my grandfather. He had enrolled in 1914 in the Royal Naval Division under the name of John Stuart, born 1891 in Edinburgh. His number was Z/2609. It was later found that his real name is Alexander Stewart after he was discharged to the Royl Engineers in 1917. We never understood why he had used an alias, but today my sister discovered on Find My Family site another Alexander Stewart who enlisted in 1908 to the 3rd Bat. Royal Engineers, No.1151. There is no date of birth given only aged 17, his next of kin was given as his sister,who was my grandfather's half sister, and the address given was the same,only a different number. This gentleman's particulars are not the same as my grandfather eg. height,and lack of tattoos, but I don't seem to be able to obtain more info. I'm sorry it is a bit long-winded but is there anyone who can help out and point me in the right direction. Will be gratefully thankful.

Bella's

It seems they were two different men.

What makes you think that the first one served under an alias? If you can give links to both mens service records their movements might be unravelled.

Have you got the service number Z/2609 correct or is there another prefix letter?

Hello Johnboy, thanks for replying, we too believe that they are two different men, our ggrandfather is definitely the 2nd one, it is the 1st one we don't know who he is.The other Alexander Stewart joined up under an alias John Stuart his number was Clyde Z/2609. I am not sure how to give you a link to their records. I am writing this on my hudl, and find it difficult to navigate, unfortunately my lap top is out of commission at the minute, sorry

Alexander Stewart who enlisted in 1908 to the 3rd Bat. Royal Engineers, No.1151. There is no date of birth given only aged 17, his next of kin was given as his sister,who was my grandfather's half sister, and the address given was the same,only a different number. This gentleman's particulars are not the same as my grandfather eg. height,and lack of tattoos, but I don't seem to be able to obtain more info.

There was a 1151 Alexander Stewart enlisted to the 15th Bn Highland Light Infantry on 14 Jan 1915 & was discharged the same day, previously having 6 years territorial service with 6th A & S Highlanders.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007283068%2f00965&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7283068%2f75%2f965&highlights=%22%22

Craig

Sorry I can't help further. The RNVR is alien to me! It seems he was in Clyde division? battalion?.

There is info on it on the web but it seems rather complicated.

If you have or find his service record it will show his postings. If HMS.... is given it may be shore based.

Good luck with your search.

I don't have my RNVR notes to hand so I don't have the exact details.

The pre war and indeed post war RNVR was split up into units on a geographical basis for training purposes. They formed a unit a bit like a ship's company with a "captain" (though not necessarily of that rank.

I cannot remember the dates of the formation of the Scottish RNVR units. I've an idea that there were two just before WW1 Clyde for the west coast and Forth for the east coast. The pre-war training unit had little bearing on where an RNVR sailor actually served.

R

AB Alex Stewart, C[lyde] Z/2609 was awarded 1914-15 Star, BWM and Victory Medal (ADM171/129 on ancestry). There should be a record at TNA, but I haven't persuaded Discovery to find it yet!

R

Ed. Found it!

I have found a Royal Naval Division record for Z/2609 Alexander Stewart alias John Stuart at:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D7254391

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your efforts at helping me, just to let you know that I have have the records for Alexander Stewart alias John Stuart and we know that he is our grandfather.It is the discovery of this other man with the same name,and using the name of his sister as next of kin that is the mystery, is there any way of finding out if he has any records.On his assentation he states that he has never served in any other service,he also states that he was an ironmoulder, which again is the occupation of my ggrandfather. Sorry this may seem

A bit off track as it before WW1 but would just be grateful for any help.

thanks once again.

Sorry everyone, have just read my original post and saw that I have put down the wrong info regarding the 1st Alexander Stewart, he was in the 3rd Bat. Royal Scots, not Engineers.

I apologise again. :(