Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Ernest Neish James

Guest andrewjames

Guest andrewjames

Hi again,

I know this is a big ask but is there anyone who would be willing to look up my grandfather in the medal roll at Kew if they happen to be going there? I'm in australia. His name is "Ernest Neish James"

Also can anyone give me an example of what a service number would look like, how many numbers, any letters in it etc.

He was in the RFA 2nd lieutenant in special reserve of officers

What is the special reserve of officers?

Went to france on 17/11/1916

The only numbers we can find are C/148 and 5708-2?

we dont know what these refer to

There is an id tag which has "SGF 18/5/1917"?

There is also mention of the 46th division but cant really narrow this down to which brigade he was in or if this is in fact a division or brigade number.

He was a gunner apparrently

thanks,

Andrew James

Andrew

My previous post on the subject gives you an alternative Division based on what appears to be his battery and artillery brigade number.

EN James is listed in the November 1918 Army list as a Lt in the RFA Special Reserve with a seniority date in that rank of 10 March 1918.

The Special Reserve was created from the old Militia as the result of the 1907 reforms. By the outbreak of war they formed part of the general army reserve. Originally they were men who had not served in the regular army , but were peacetime volunteers who received military training with their chosen branch of the Army in the same way as the volunteers of the Territorial Force did, however their terms of service, such as the number of drill nights ect were not so time consuming as those of the TF.

Terry Reeves

Guest andrewjames

Terry,

Thank you so much for that valuable information. Is it possible to access the Army List on the net.

We believe that he was involved in an action in France dating from 21st march 1918 that went for 10 or so days and was pretty intense. Would you have any idea what battle this would be. It was around the area of Givenchy, Grand-Rullecourt, Beaufort.

Once again thanks for your help.

Andrew

PS Thanks also Ian for your post

The fighting around Givenchy in Spring 1918 was later than the date you mention - the First Defence of Givenchy was 9-11 April 1918, and the 2nd Defence 18th April. These were part of the Battles of the Lys, in turn part of the German Spring Offensives, or Kaiserschlacht.

The fighting in March 1918 was also part of the Spring Offensives, but was further south on the Somme, St Quentin, Bapaume, Arras.

Not sure about your Division - 148 Bde was in 30 Div, which took part in the Battles of the Lys from 17-29 Apr and then only with 89 Brigade.

46 Div came into the battle line, but took no part in the major engagements.

Grand Rullecourt & Beaufort I can't find I'm afraid. But I'm sure one of the others will come in with info on that.

Army List is not available online. May well be available in the largest libraries in Oz.