Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th Bn Leicestershire Regiment War Diary

Julianw

I am researching my Granfathers war service with this Battalion. Can anyone tell me if the War Diary is available online? If not,where I might find it?

I would welcome contact with anyone who has an interest in this Battalion,in particular C Company. I have a list of all the names and addresses of the officers and men who served in the Company from 1916 onwards from the diary my Grandfather kept when he was in the trenches.

Many thanks

Julian

Julian,

Contact forum member Llew. he researches the Leicesters in particular the City territorials of 1/4 battalion

Jim

Hi Llew

My Grandfather was Captain F J Nugee MC who commanded C Company of the 1/4th Bn The Leicestershire Regiment. I am currently researching his war service. You will see a bit about him on the IWM
lives of the FWW Site.

He kept a diary which included the names and addresses of all the men that served under him. See attachments. I am not sure I am able to load all the pages onto this site.post-108971-0-03243800-1401656332_thumb.post-108971-0-30137800-1401656396_thumb.

Regards

Julian

I am researching my Granfathers war service with this Battalion. Can anyone tell me if the War Diary is available online? If not,where I might find it?

I would welcome contact with anyone who has an interest in this Battalion,in particular C Company. I have a list of all the names and addresses of the officers and men who served in the Company from 1916 onwards from the diary my Grandfather kept when he was in the trenches.

Many thanks

Julian

Julian

That is a fascinating document.

We had one guy from our village Thomas Frederick Inchley who was in this battalion. I don't suppose he is on your list? We have some good photos of him.

I notice you have J E Brown of Horninghold which is the next village down the road. I'm pretty sure there is a good photo of him and his brothers in the Kettering Leader as 4? of them served. If you have anyone form Horninghold or Hallaton I would be very interested to know.

Have you contacted the Leicestershire Archives in Wigston? They may have photos etc relating to this battalion.

Regards

Max

Hello Julian,

For a starters, have you downloaded the diary?

I've been listing other ranks who served with the Leicesters for some years now, and have over 25,000 to date, the information on residence and what have you would be very useful if you wouldn't mind sharing?

Regards.

Llew.

Dear Llew/Max

I am perfectly happy to send you a copy of the diary which is in pdf format but even in its compressed state comes to 37mb. Its a question of getting it to you.

The diary covers the period from Nov 17th 1915 to 22nd Feb 1918. There are 22 pages at the rear listing all the officers and men that saved in C Company during that period. The list has names and addresses and war outcome.

The diary is in pencil and not easy to read. The original is in the IWM.

None of the names you mentioned appear to be on the list but I have only flicked through it

Regards

Julian

post-108971-0-92972500-1401767460_thumb.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I know this thread is over 12 months old but having recently retired I am now re-doing various aspects of my family history. My maternal Grandfather was Horace Skevington and he was in C Company of the 1/4 Leicesters for the duration of the war. He was in the pre-war TA unit (don't know when he joined up), was called up in August 1914, went to France in June 2015 and was demobbed in January 2019. (Mum was born in October 1919!!) He was at various times Private and acting Sergeant but refused an officers commission on several occasions. His original number was 1850.

Although I've done some research and can trace many of his war activities these are through already published records which are cold facts of the events. Would love to hear of more personal accounts about C Company. Grandads original number was 1850.

Happy to answer any questions anyone might have

David

David

Horace is recorded in my Granfathers war diary as a Sergeant with his nok being his Father living at 130 Wand Street, Leicester. He is also recorded as being wounded.

I can send you the extract from the Diary if this is of interest

Julian

David

I also have a photograph of him with the other C Company Serjeants at Bienvilliers Autumn 1916

Julian

Adam

I'll send you an e-mail

Julian

• 1 month later...

Hi Julian, sorry had a crazy few weeks and missed your follow up posts. A copy of the relevant section of the diary and photograph would be great. It's my mother's 96th birthday next week and I'd love to show it to her as she is Horace's oldest child (the two younger one's are still going strong as well at 94 and 92 respectively!)

Can you email it to me - how do I get my contact details to you.

David

• 2 weeks later...

David

I'll send you a PM

Julian

Hi Julian - please could you have a look in your gradfathers diary/list of names for Percy Turner of Smethick - I have a photo of him in Leicester Rgt uniform but not other detail thx for making the forum aaware of this valuable piece of info.

Hi Julian

As a Leicestershire regiment collector and amateur researcher I would appreciate a copy of the diary of you don't mind of course, I'm sure I have items to 1/4 men, I will have a look

Best wishes

Andy

Hi Julian, just wanted to say a public heartfelt thanks for sending me a copy of my Grandad's photo (1850 Horace Skevington) as above. I managed to expand it on my laptop and showed it to my mother today and although at 96 she is greatly affected by vascular dementia,seeing the picture generated quite some comments about her parents. Unfortunately no new info re his involvement in WW1 but it gave us a lovely few minutes for which I thank you.

David

• 4 months later...

hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information on Pte Thomas Barrow 4635 1/4 Leicesters. Is there any way I can get access to the rest of the names in the jpg above. Thomas Joined the battalion at the end of October beginning of November 1915 Many thanks in advance for any information.

• 3 years later...
On 30/05/2014 at 06:27, Julianw said:

Many thanks

Julian

The War Diaries are available online, my father joined the 1/4 Leicestershire Regiment in September 1918, he was badly wounded at the end of July 1915 at Zillebeke, soon after leaving Sanctuary Wood. I have been through all the War Diaries for the period from leaving Bishops Stortford until he was wounded. The only thing I do not know is which company he was in. My father was Edwin Phillips service number 2371.

Robin

Morning re:E Phillips

Have found this on Find My Past

image.png.a22d63c63385c29c3c21f7cde6139e4b.png

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007258531%2F00993&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2FSUPP%2F2510

which is from British Army Service Records files. Presuming you meant he joined 1/4th Leics prior to 1915.

Does this seem likely to be him?

George

His medical record for July 1915 has him in D Company

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FMH106%2FP2%2F204536

on Find My Past

It mentions severe emphysema(sic) and haemathorax

George

Edited by George Rayner
addition

Find My Past also has this

First name(s)     Edwin
Last name     Phillips
Year     1914-20
Service number     2371
Rank     Private,Second Lieutenant,Lieutenant
Second rank     Second Lieutenant
Third rank     Lieutenant
Regiment     Leicestershire Regiment, Northamptonshire Regiment, Royal Flying Corps And Royal Field Artillery
Second corps     Northamptonshire Regiment
Third corps     Royal Flying Corps And Royal Field Artillery
Service record     Soldier Number: 2371, Rank: Private, Corps: Leicestershire Regiment
Second service record     Rank: Second Lieutenant, Corps: Northamptonshire Regiment
Third service record     Rank: Lieutenant, Corps: Royal Flying Corps and Royal Field Artillery

George

Sorry Julian for the hijack

George

• 2 years later...

Hello, I am looking up my great great grandfather Richard McCready 202559. He was in the 1/4 and died on 22nd of August 1918. I'm not sure which company he was in. I have a copy of the War Diary for the month of August but I'm struggling to read the handwriting. I was wondering if it has been digitised anywhere, or if anyone can help me decipher what action was taking place at the time. Thank you 

IMG_20220108_163749317_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220108_163833929_HDR.jpg