Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Renamed Mons Star-all not what it seems.

Guest sussex5

Guest sussex5

Evening Gents (& Ladies).Hopefully i can pick one of your knowledgeable brains on this one.

I recently purchased a single 1914 star.It was purchased unseen,although it was cheap as i was unsure of the recipiants details as they didn't run true with the medal index card.The medal indeed had been erased (very neatly i might add) and was re-engraved in a equally professional manner.However,i don't believe it was done to fool anyone as there was a bit of artistic licence.As it was nicely patinated,i assume it was done many years ago.

Now the intriguing bit.The medal was engraved as follows.....8992

...............................................................................................Pte G SUMMERS

...............................................................................................2nd H.L.I.

I can't find any G.SUMMERS in the Highland Light Infantry under this number-or indeed under any other number.However 8992 2nd H.L.I. does exist under the name of Pte JAMES THOMPSON.No service records for this soldier survives....BUT-and this is the intriguing bit-Pte THOMPSON was trialed for Desertion.His 1914 star was forfeited and later reinstated.He was also awarded a BWM and VM.It may be a bit of wishful thinking on my part,but do you think these two men were one and the same,or have i just started to go down a dead end on this one.At the moment i have a 100% track record of using the MIC's so i'm determined in getting to the bottom of this one....Any suggestions on this one?....Thanking you all in advance.Rob.

You think he went 'anonymous' and took a new name after the forfeiture and had this one re-engraved? Or he could have claimed that he used an alias in service and then had the medal engraved with his real name? Any Birth certificate / census data for either?

Trajan

Guest sussex5

Thanks for your input,Trajan.

Unfortunately,no paperwork with this medal.His medal index card shows that his clasp and roses were issued on 12/5/20.Although his '14 star was originally forfeitured and then reinstated after his trial for desertion,no issue of this and the BWM or VM seem to have been carried out.A note at the bottom of the MIC seems to state an OFFENCE CODE and some remarks with a 'W5124/5 19/4/22' reference,although i can't really decipher the handwriting.

I'm getting the feeling that this soldier possibly never received his entitlement (apart from the CR's) and then possibly changed his name post war (out of shame maybe?).The star is definately genuine and it appears that although it has been erased and renamed,the way this has been done,would've left traces of his original service number,unless over-stamped with the same digits.My next step will probably be a visit to the Public Records Office (Kew) to see if the records for his trial still survive.

On a related note,i have a interesting WW1 group to a soldier who died from the effects of gassing and was buried in the later stages of the war at home.He originally had a Germanic spelt name (he came from German ancestry) and changed it in about 1915 (i believe he was called up shortly afterwards).I bought all this directly from the family and it came with paperwork-infact the relative kindly sent me pictures of his grave.I was under the impression that changing identities is a modern thing,although this was not obviously so.

Thanks again for your input,Rob.