Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ieper 10 - 13 November

ArmyOfficer

Gents:

I'll be in Ieper from 10 - 13 November; look for me as the shabbily dressed short, fat man sleeping in a trashed white Ford Polo in the Markt.

Needless to say, the hatch back will always be open with a cooler for beers for those from the forum who may also be there.

I'll also be at the the US Cemetary (Flanders Field) to put a poppy and salute down; followed by a visit to Lijsenhoek (spelling?) to put a flag down and have a beer for Private Harry King....gone to Fiddler's Green. Show up and I'll tell you the story!

Kevin,

How you doing mate? I wil be at the Shell Hole from 9-12th Nov. I am sure we will have an oppurtunity to meet!

Best Regards

Iain

Iain: Yes, I will likely stop by. Trying to find a place to stay now; I had reservations at a place from 10-13th until I got an email tonight explaining that there was a booking problem and my room was gone...i'm scrapping for a place now.

No problem; as long as i'm not going to get rained on...who cares?

Ill be there chaps.Look for a fat chap with grey hair and a full beard.Also my mate Graham with his cloth cap.We are sleeping in his VW Camper van.We are realy looking forward to meeting some of the pals.By the way weare both on the plus side of sixty.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

I will also be there on the 11th paying my respects.

It's then off to see what John has in stock at the Shell hole, so I'll maybe see some of you there.

I'm the tall ugly guy with the good looking blonde.

Peter

Army officer

I cannot be there as I will be at Thiepval. However I am curious about Harry King and Fiddlers Green, was he a trawler man sailing out of Hull or Grimsby?

John

I'll be there at Ypres, marching and laying a wreath with the Kent Fire and Rescue Service. I hope it will be as sunny and mild as it was last year, and hope to see some of you there. If I dont get to meet you, and if you are going, have a memorable time.

However I am curious about Harry King and Fiddlers Green, was he a trawler man sailing out of Hull or Grimsby?

John

John: He was neither, he was a soldier in the 3d US Cavalry Regiment (Brave Rifles) and Fiddler's Green is where all good US tankers and cavalrymen go when they die.

No doubt Harry King is there now...and I'm going to have a beer for him. In fact, If there's no one in the cemetary I may even sit down there and have one with him.

I shall be there from the 12th to 14th. I 'll be the one with the finely chisseled cheekbones, granite like jaw line and thick mane of golden hair. unfortunately the bloke I'm going with looks like Il Duce.

Unlike Strongbow I hope its cold and wet, helps me empathise more when trudging through the woods and fields

• 2 weeks later...

I am lucky enough to be going from 10th to 14th. Staying at the Rum Jar. Would be very pleased to meet fellow pals for a couple of pints of Belgium's finest.

Chris