Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maurice Evans MIC card question

elewis

Can somebody please help me with the MIC card for Maurice Evans, 3rd Garrison Battalion Bedfordshire Regt Private N0-37240.

I know he served in Burma from at least 1917 to 1919.

The MIC card shows him having received the Victory medal, but against it is the comment "Retd (1743 K.R. 1912) 8270 / Adt."

I am guessing that Retd is returned, but can not think why it should have been (his brothers kept theirs), and have no idea what the remainder means.

Any assitance very much appreciated,

Evan

Greeting Evan, have a look at this previous thread which should be of some interest..............

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=165961

I think it means that the medals were unclaimed and returned to Woolwich to be broken up, under King's Regulation 1743 of 1912.

This forum is amazing, even at this "silly" time of night two very helpful responses within a few minutes, thank you both very much.

The remark in the previous thread about men being "compulsorily" transferred between Regiments following the Military Service Act of 1916 and that it included men in the Bedfordshire Rgt is interesting as it might help explain Maurice being in the Bedfordshire Rgt as that always seemed a bit strange to me as most of the others who served in infantry units from this area were in the local Glosters and he had no connection with Bedfordshire.

I am sure that the IPT is correct that the medal was unclaimed and returned to Woolwich to be broken up, under King's Regulation 1743 of 1912, as I know of the location of his brothers medals but not his .... maybe with his brother having been killed and returning late from the war (I do not have an exact date but he had hoped to return in April 1919) he just did not want the medal and wanted to get on with a new life?.

Once again many thanks gentlemen.

Evan