Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Heritage listing of VC Graves and cremation plaques in W. Aust

Fedelmar

Any person wishing to have their say about this article can email me at fedelmar@hotmail.com and I will see that it reaches the appropriate people ... or write a letter to The Australian newspaper.

post-11785-0-39656900-1401253029_thumb.j

.post-11785-0-64255300-1401253633_thumb.j

post-11785-0-97514800-1401253835_thumb.j

Following receipt of the response to my application I contacted the Opposition Member for Heritage (see scan below) and the matter was brought to the attention of Parliament on the Thursday night with the press conference with the Leader of the Opposition being held last Sunday.

post-11785-0-01265000-1401253996_thumb.j

What I overlooked mentioning ... one of these 8 is a New Zealander who later made Western Australia his home. He was at one time NZ Ambassador to Washington DC, ADC to the Queen and a member of the Great Escape. A couple of the other lads were born in the UK and another was the son of a former Premier of Western Australia.

In my opinion, it is the highest insult afforded a VC to accuse my attempt to have their graves and cremation plaques placed on the state's heritage register of historic significance for WA as a 'political swipe'.

• 9 years later...

Just reinventing this ... and here we are ... 10 years later and still we fight the WA Government of this recognition and the Federal Government for that matter.  They refused to put the graves of VC recipients on the National Heritage Register ... Bon Scott was considered more important! 

The VC graves of Carroll and O'Meara grace WA Parliament today in the fight to stop the exhumation of defence personnel from their graves for reburial somewhere else!