Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Bayonet Picture

Raster Scanning

I have had this item for some time it is marked Samson Werk on the hilt and the scabbard has some damage from what looks like a bullet (not shown).

I was told it was brought back to the UK by a soldier after the war.

Please can anyone tell me more about this item.

Thanks.

post-23-1098010461.jpg

This is the German pattern m1914 bayonet.

Tom

Looks like a M.1884/98. Check the back of the blade near the crossgaurd there should be a tiny stamp the number below the cipher should be the year of acceptance 15 would = 1915 ect.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

The 1884/98 has a shorter blade than the one in the picture posted.

Tomn

Tom

The crossgaurd on the M1914 is held in Place by two rivits which are usually noticeable unless the ones on this bayonet have been ground flush. There also appears to be hint of a flashgaurd which was not provided on the M1914.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Janzen 88/1 has no rivets. I give you that there also was a version with rivets. The blade length in the picture is still too long for any other German bayonet than he m1914.

Tom

Tom

The blade lenght on the M1914 is 11.81 inches. The standard lenght for the M 84/98 is 9.84inches the early versions most were converted from 71/84 banonet have a 10.04 in blade. There was a shorter version also, reference "The German Bayonet" by Walter. You are correct on blade lenght I had to dig out the book (still packed) to confirm lenghts. The Bayonet shown closely matches a Samson Werk Bayonet for the M1914 the grips are "usually" attached by rivets and have rounded fullers and pommel. I do have Janzen's but it does not go much into details like makers and construction but is a useful guide.

Zephyr

Never came across that one thanks.

Regards N.S.Regt.

Thanks NS Regt, museumtom, zephry4, for your replies.

I measured the blade and it is a fraction under 12'', so it appears to be an M1914.

Thanks again.

John.

Looks like a German export bayonet to me. For the portugese mauser or something like it. The Belgians also made a large amount of export bayonets for

Argentinia etc...

Definitely an S14 (see Walter pg 74). These Ersatz bayonets are fairly scarce.

Some are believed made from export bayonets. Some have flashguards. Details of form & construction differ widely.

Thanks again one and all, for your ideas and thoughts.