Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Nicholls S/TCorps

Maggie May

Doing some research into my husbands Grand father who served in India during WW1.

He enlisted the British Army 1904 joining the 2nd Battalion of the Essex Reg 56 Front.

He served in Malta, Burma, and transferred to the Indian Army .

He served in the Mesoptama Camp and later the 3rd Afghanistan War

Malaria and other health problems William decided on early retirement in 1922 aged 36.

A professional soldier and loved the army life but was disappointed he did not get a promotion in the army and they say it was due to his poor back ground.

He was awarded the 1919 long service medal for good conduct and the NZ victory medal WW2.

he has six medals all together which I have framed .

William married Rosetta Askew in India sometime in 1910.

My husbands father John Coulson Nicholls was born 14th Jan 1913 in India and another son Lawrence was also born there in 1922.

i have photos to post of Khyber pass in Safid Kuh camp when I can get them downloaded

we dont know when William returned to England but later he came to NZ to live with the family.

can anyone tell us where to get Williams war records from so we know more . William is in 2nd row on right in the marching photo taken in India

post-36594-0-13137900-1400633619_thumb.j

post-36594-0-67365400-1400633705_thumb.j

Maggie May

There is a record for the marriage in 1911 on Family Search

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGVL-GG1

For a copy of the record image, there should be a record on FindMyPast (pay site) [but I don’t have a subscription to this site)

The following “Indian Army Records of Service” record is from the India Office Records at the British Library . There must be a good chance it is the person you are looking for.

Title: Nicholls, William

Collection Area: India Office Records and Private Papers

Reference: IOR/L/MIL/14/50501

Creation Date: 1910-1948

Extent and Access: 
Extent: 1 file

Contents and Scope: 
Contents:

Number: 5763438

Highest Rank: Staff Sergeant

Regiment: S T C

Date of commission: 20 Oct 1910

For details of how to obtain a copy of the record, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page British Library. http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/British_Library

Cheers

Maureen