Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WAR DIARY 1/5TH BATTALION LOYAL NORTH LANCS. 1918

Liz Hall

Does anyone have a copy of the above diary to do a look-up, please?

Liz

Liz

Forum member "Bernithebolt" may be able to help you. Check his content. He is researching 1/5 LNL at Guillemont in August 1916 and I am at present assisting him with reports from the Bolton Newspapers. I should be on 1918 in about three weeks. I can do a look up in the papers for you if you are researching anyone from Bolton.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

Thanks for that Brian. I was looking for the 'forlorn hope'. My grandfather A J MONAGHAN has no service papers so I started searching some of his comrades (not many of them either) and saw that he was replaced as CSM in early August 1918 (two pages give different dates) by THOMAS HASLAM, and wondered under what circumstances - he was not a POW or casualty that I am aware of. Don't go to any trouble with the papers but if you spot either of these names I would be most grateful for any info.

Cheers

Liz.

Mine also only goes up to January 1918. I presume that you are aware that the battalion transferred from the 55th Division to the 57th Division at that stage.

No mention of him in the history.

"For the months of April and May (1918), spent for the most part in Couin and Coigneux respectively, there is nothing of interest to record, and it was in fact not until well past the middle of August that any of the units of the 57th Division were called upon to take part in any major operations"

Thanks, Graeme - now to test my IT skills!

Liz

• 4 months later...

Liz

I was at the Lancashire Infantry Museum at Fulwood Barracks, Preston yesterday and copies of the War Diaries are kept there. Free admission and parking as well.

Brian

Thanks for the info, Brian.

I did email them before posting on the Forum, but got no reply and subsequently was able to download them after being pointed in the right direction by another member.

Still trawlimg through them, not the easiest to read.

Cheers,

Liz

Thanks for that Brian. I was looking for the 'forlorn hope'. My grandfather A J MONAGHAN has no service papers so I started searching some of his comrades (not many of them either) and saw that he was replaced as CSM in early August 1918 (two pages give different dates) by THOMAS HASLAM, and wondered under what circumstances - he was not a POW or casualty that I am aware of. Don't go to any trouble with the papers but if you spot either of these names I would be most grateful for any info.

Cheers

Liz.

When the 1/5th Loyals. moved to 57th Div they absorbed a large contingent from 4/5th. Perhaps Thomas Haslam was the 4/5th RSM and was more senior to your Grandfather.

Thomas Haslam enlisted in 1915 - to France 1917 with 4/5th so he wouldn't gave been senior to my grandfather BUT I have discovered there was another

CSM J Monaghan DCM MM in the battalion, and it may be this man who was replaced by Tom Haslam.

Cheers

Liz

Liz

From 25/11/1914 to 25/11/1915 The Bolton Evening News ran a column called "Rally to the Flag", showing the names and addresses of recruits and the Units into which they had enlisted. The edition of Wednesday 18/08/1915 records that John Haslam of 21 Jauncey St, Bolton had enlisted into the "Pals" Battalion the previous day. This was the 4/5th Loyal North Lancashire which was unofficially known as the Pals. The following day RTF recorded that Thomas Haslam of 21 Jauncey St, Bolton had also enlisted into the Pals on the 18/08/1915. You may know this already but a Service Record survives for Thomas Haslam showing his enlistment on 18/08/1915 and that he had previously served as a Territorial in the Loyals. The record shows his promotion on 02/08/1918.

Brian

Hi Brian

I had seen Thomas Haslam's service record on Ancestry and am currently trying to find out how he won his MC.

Cheers.

Liz