Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LG Archive - where's it gone?

Stephen Nulty

Sorry of this has been covered before, but I can't locate anything on it.

I have just been on the LG site to do some searching but can't find the "Archive" on the new site. Am I being gormless (as usual) or is there now a different search method?

Stephen Nulty is 57

:)

I gave up on it a while back, they have ruined a perfectly easy to navigate and search archive.

I think I'd say took a sometimes quirky and unreliable archive and made it much worse.

I think I'd say took a sometimes quirky and unreliable archive and made it much worse.

+1

Thanks for the comments, I'm now off and running

I have now started searching but with no luck so far

Tut tut,poor grammar

My old English teacher would have thrashed us for using the word "got" in here as it is completely superfluous

post-1356-0-68070700-1400576032_thumb.pn

The only thing that I find works is to track down a link to a search result from before the change and start from that... the new format is appalling - I have trouble with it and I'm a librarian (used to most of the more lunatic search engines... )

Thanks Nigel, I did just that but am always doubtful that anything will come from SurveyMonkey as they seem to simply aggregate up the comments for in-house analysis rather than for anybody to actually do anything!

If you are searching for a string, e.g. J. S. Smith then use speech-marks, e.g. "J. S. Smith" to narrow down results.

Searching for the above random name gives 225351 results from ALL issues without the " " and 1087 with them.....

Steve.

Cheers for that, I'll have another look shortly

Even with the old LG website, I found it easier to find entries using a Google search with the words London Gazette included (eg. Lushington London Gazette)

Andrewr

One problem is that. say. George Arbuthnot Everyman may be G A Everyman in one place. G Everyman somewhere else, George Everyman in another place, George A Everyman in yet another and to be absolutely infuriating could pop up as GA Everyman as well as masquerading as that well known misprint G Everman

I hate the new search it is terrible, how hard would it been to advertise for a copy of real users and ask for input.

Most other organisations introducing a beta of a new format or the new format itself would retain the old system pending public reaction and technical proving. The NA did this but not the LG. I cannot find anything and have told them what I think of it on the survey site. Absolute rubbish. A classic case of more is less.

They still seem to be accepting comments on the 'beta' version (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XHQ3DMB), so possibly worth doing so, although I doubt it will make much difference :(.

NigelS

I have just let rip with my opinion :)

They did run a parallel Beta site from about October 2013, but it didn't seem to have anywhere near the whole database on it. That said when it went fully live about 10% of the pages seemed to be missing!

While you can get the searches to get results from it you have to "unlearn" the old ways (to quote Yoda), and relearn new tricks. The Jedi mind trick to use on the "style over substance and utility" brigade would actually be useful, methinks.... or the Vulcan deathgrip, hmmmm....

Steve.

O I am glad I am not alone in not liking the new version of the LG.

What happened to the indexes?

Stuart

They did run a parallel Beta site from about October 2013, but it didn't seem to have anywhere near the whole database on it. That said when it went fully live about 10% of the pages seemed to be missing!

While you can get the searches to get results from it you have to "unlearn" the old ways (to quote Yoda), and relearn new tricks. The Jedi mind trick to use on the "style over substance and utility" brigade would actually be useful, methinks.... or the Vulcan deathgrip, hmmmm....

Steve.

Think the whole thing's just gone over to the dark side.

• 1 month later...

Indices for the London Gazette can be found on Wikipedia, and once you have identified your date of publication then you are straight into the edition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:London_Gazette_Index

After hours of frustration this is a real gift (to me anyway).

Harry

Thanks Harry, will check that out