Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Linesman is appropriate?

Dbaulch

Hi forum

I am about to take the plunge and purchase either the linesman10 or 20 DVDs in preparation for a trip to Beligium and France in September. IF i could only purchase 1 type which would be more appropriate for a battlefield visit, the Linesman10 or Linesman20? I hope to be able to use them with my ipad/iphone.

We are visiting the Morval forest area, Le Cateau, various Somme sites and Ypres.

Your advice is very much appreciated

thanks

Dav

Hi Dav

I have both Linesman 10 and 20. Since you are going to use the maps on a mobile device, then you will find that for Ypres, the Somme and Morval, Linesman 10 is perfect - it has the classic 1-10,000 scale trench maps, which make touring the battlefields such a rewarding experience. Linesman 20 really comes into its own with maps from the final 1918 battles, plus behind the lines from Poperinghe to Calais: I have it on my PC for study purposes, but use only Linesman 10 on my mobile GPS (ADV 3500) device.

But you also mention Le Cateau - this area is not covered at all by Linesman 10, which stops at Cambrai. But there are only a few maps of Le Cateau on Linesman 20, and these are 1-20,000 scale maps from 1917 and (mostly) 1918, with trenches and fortifications relevant to the last months of the war, so I don't know how useful these will be to you if you are following the 1914 action anyway.

So, in my opinion.........get Lineman 10 for all your other battlefield needs, and perhaps scan diagrams/maps from books when it comes to Le Cateau (Major and Mrs Holt's "The Western Front North" [new edition due out this month] has a good battlefield tour of Le Cateau and a diagram of troop movements which could be used with a modern map).

William

Thanks William, just what I needed. Linesman 10 it is (until Xmas)

I did guess as much for 1914 stuff, will make sure I am prepared with print outs before I go to Le Cateau

Out of interest does Linesman10 cover the Morval forest, specifically around Englefontaine do you know?

thanks again

Dav

Out of interest does Linesman10 cover the Morval forest, specifically around Englefontaine do you know?

Hi Dav - sorry I misled you, Linesman 10 doesn't include Mormal Forest; Linesman 20 has 2 maps which cover it: one is a straightforward copy of a pre-war map showing towns and roads etc., and the other shows it in 1918, and marks the parts of the forest which have been felled for wood (ie most of it).

But I still strongly advise the purchase of Linesman 10 before Linesman 20.

William

Hi William

I have copies of both of those maps you mentioned so I can just print those. I agree with you Linesman10 all the way for me. Will purchase asap. very exciting!

thanks

Dav