Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Planned Amphibious assault 3rd Ypres

Mark Hone

A few years ago the American magazine 'Miltary History Quarterly' did an article on the proposed amphibious landing at Middlekerke which included some marvellous training photos of tanks scaling sea walls etc. Unfortuantely checking my back issues I couldn't seem to find the article. Does anyone happen to know in which issue it appeared?

Guest Michael Orr

This plan is also very well covered in Gunfire Numbers 11, 12, 13 & 16 & Andy Weist's book "The Royal Navy & Passchendaele". Having taken a tour to Middlekirke recently all I can say is don't go in early April. It is not a place to be if a north wind is blowing. The coastline has also been built up to an incredible extent & it is almost impossible to park a coach. I shudder to think what it would be like during the Belgian holiday season. However it might be worth combining with a trip to Raversyde Battery if you are thinking of going there. Should I add my file to the photocopying I owe you?

Michael

Dear Michael,

That would be most kind of you. I have always been very interested in this abortive operation since Col. Terry Cave covered the preparations for it on a WFA tour in the 1980's which stayed at Nieuport. As I may well be driving from Bruges to Ieper later this summer I thought that I might make a diversion to the intended target of the assault.

Mark