Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Royal Marines (Engineers)

Morthin

I have recentley been trying to trace my grandfathers history during ww1 , but have failed to trace his military history. I have in my possesion a travel pass issued to him to travel on a train between Cardiff & Bristol.

I was interested to see that the writing on the pass seems to read "engineers".

Can I ask through this forum if anybody has seen this before on a travel pass ? and does anybody have any idea an easy way to find his record without having to join such sites as Find my past etc.

His deatails are Richard Pritchard from Tremadoc North Wales survived the war but died in 1945.

This is a link to the travel permit. https://www.flickr.com/photos/63164772@N05/6332238145/in/photolist-aDynMK-aDCfLb-buxpA1-bHrU6T-bHrWeK-bux3wm-buxge5-bHsddR-buxnPf-bHs8pH-bHs2cH-buxoF3-bux1TY-bHs5gP-bHrZjF-buxADu-bHsp14-bHsm1x-bHsiYv-bHstTZ-buxFjb

Thanks in advance

Morthin

• 4 weeks later...

Can I ask how certain are you that he is in this ref number etc and that it is correct ? as it seems that Kew have estimated a sum of £500 + to me to look and copy through the relevant documents, providing he is there.

I have contatcted the Royal marines museum it seems that all their records are at Kew.

What do you think ?

Certainly certain. Richard PRITCHARD is listed in the ADM 313/18 Index to ADM 157 as RME/5437(S). He also appears on the RM WW1 Medal Roll (the only man of that name) in ADM 171/170/392 where he is incorrectly recorded as RME 5437 (no 'S'). The only records are those in the ADM 157 reference given which covers RME numbers 5400 to 5450.

£500 is outrageous. It would be cheaper to go to Kew a view the ADM 157 file in person (or pay a researcher)

• 3 weeks later...

Horatio2

Many thanks for the advise and the information, I managed to hire a researcher at a price of £40, came back with the goods with the exception of the medal list.

Many many thanks for your info truly appreciated

morthin

Thanks for the follow-up. I am pleased it worked out. Anything of interest in the ADM 157 papers? The Medal Roll shows Victory and British War Medals claimed by and issued to him.

He occupation was a "heavy timbermans mate" as per his active service list,he must have been stationed in Bargoed South Wales as there was a house address in the papers, his conduct was good, served 237 days until he was demobbed, after all he was 47.5 years old at the end of the war !

What would have heavy timbermans mate be doing ?

Suprise to see how short his army regimental number was .. 5437

Not an army regimental number but an RM register number (i.e. part of the Royal Navy). Their numbers ran between about RME/300(S) and 8300(S).