Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help!

ajt55

Hi all

I have just joined the forum, been a bit of a WW1 geek for years and am really interested in it.

I was at a car boot the other day and came across some WW1 photos, a signed postcard and a written postcard, I am presuming was from France. I needed to buy them as I couldnt stand the thought of them been thrown away as these two men did so much for us.

I have will add two photos, any help would be greatly received!

Upload them to Photobucket and post a link to them here.

• Admin

Can't make your second and third link work

The first one gives you his name and address as Pte George Quinn 181 Company No 1 Section (I think the censor has blue pencilled the actual location)then BEF France.

181 Coy was a Tunnelling Company so hence the need for secrecy see LLT http://www.1914-1918.net/tunnelcoyre.htm His prewar occupation may give a clue

There are two possibles in the medal cards the most likely is George Quinn Northumberland Fusiliers 98 and RE 193256. He went overseas after 31/12/1915 and was entitled to BWM and Victory Medal. First overseas with the RF demobilised or disembodied with RE he was in all probability an early pre-war TF soldier. The photograph dated 14/9/1917 shows he was wearing an RE cap badge, though I'm struggling to read the shoulder title. I assume it was taken shortly after his transfer with a new address and new uniform. He appears to have survived the war unlike his service record and I can find no other documents on line.

I had a look at the 1911 Census but could only find a labourer aged 25 as for Mrs Mary Ridley (the recipient)I couldn't see the whole address.

Ken

I think the post card is addressed to Miss Mary Ridley, born 1901, daughter of Nicholas and Mary Emma Ridley of Billerley Farm, Wark. She married Wilfrid S H Ballantine in 1927.

The photograph looks like a CSM from the Glosters but can't decypher his signature. Is it Pearce?

Can't make your second and third link work

The first one gives you his name and address as Pte George Quinn 181 Company No 1 Section (I think the censor has blue pencilled the actual location)then BEF France.

181 Coy was a Tunnelling Company so hence the need for secrecy see LLT http://www.1914-1918.net/tunnelcoyre.htm His prewar occupation may give a clue

There are two possibles in the medal cards the most likely is George Quinn Northumberland Fusiliers 98 and RE 193256. He went overseas after 31/12/1915 and was entitled to BWM and Victory Medal. First overseas with the RF demobilised or disembodied with RE he was in all probability an early pre-war TF soldier. The photograph dated 14/9/1917 shows he was wearing an RE cap badge, though I'm struggling to read the shoulder title. I assume it was taken shortly after his transfer with a new address and new uniform. He appears to have survived the war unlike his service record and I can find no other documents on line.

I had a look at the 1911 Census but could only find a labourer aged 25 as for Mrs Mary Ridley (the recipient)I couldn't see the whole address.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks very much for your help so far!

There are the links slightly changed.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii548/Andrew_Danger_Turnbull/photo_zpse64d2eef.jpg

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii548/Andrew_Danger_Turnbull/image1_zps983c037a.jpeg

Its definitley Glosters for the signed photo 14/9/17. He appears to be wearing a big wrist watch and have (majors?) badges on his sleeves.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Mrs Ridley appears to have orignated from Newcastle, so was thinking George may have been her brother?

How certain do you think the information could be linked up?

Are there area codes from Belgium and France for these letters to see where they could have been on the line? And if survived?

Thanks

Andrew

You are quite right - Mary Emma Ridley was born as Mary Emma Quinn, daughter of James and Mary Quinn and she had a younger brother, George, born c 1888. In 1911 census he was serving in India with 83rd Battery RFA.

The crowns on the Gloster man's sleeves denote his rank as a Company Sergeant Major. See post 6.

• Admin

That would explain why I was struggling with the shoulder title and the cross belt - got a little confused there and of course saw what I wanted to see!

Anyway seems to have sorted itself out now.

Ken

You are quite right - Mary Emma Ridley was born as Mary Emma Quinn, daughter of James and Mary Quinn and she had a younger brother, George, born c 1888. In 1911 census he was serving in India with 83rd Battery RFA.

The crowns on the Gloster man's sleeves denote his rank as a Company Sergeant Major. See post 6.

I thought he may have previously served to WW1 with the BEF record. So do we know whether he survived or what happened to him? I'd love to know.

Anything more on the 1917 photograph?

Thanks again

Andrew