Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt H A Scott Service Record Query

Jegon

I have obtained a copy of my fathers service record in the first war from the National Archives, It is pretty straightforward until the 1917. He was in the OTC at Tonbridge School, he then served in the Inns of Court OTC from the 25/01/1915 until he joined the RASC on the 24/5/1915 and was part of the Expeditionary Force and was in Le Havre in 19/9/1915, it's at this point that it becomes a bit confusing:

Home 1/8/17 C.S.8.8.17.& List 606

Elstowe,Bedford 1/8/17 No 2 School of Instr for infantry

Then there are two notes about transfer and gazette (9/1/18) to the Coldstream Guards as a 2nd Lt on the 31/10/1917 with seniority from 28/10/17, the entry that puzzles me is at the end:

Application to transfer to M.G.C. (Heavy). No objection. 2227/2. C.S 8/8/17

There is a final sheet which just states his name and that he had a temporary commission, at the bottom of the sheet it says, '2.3.4.5 Destroyed' and 'Documents Enclosed' there is what might be a signature 'QMG.5 or maybe QM9.5 . The document has two CLOSED stamps on it

I have no record of him being involved with tanks, and of course he never really spoke of the war, maybe somebody might be able to help.

don't suppose you could let me have a picture of your father (ideally in Coldstream uniform) as I am trying to get a picture of each officer

services of officers only adds he was demobbed 25.10.19

20th August 1918 he is noted as a LT in the 3rd battalion

Coldstreamer,

Thanks for the reply, yes I do have a photo of him, I shall get it out of the frame and copy it, would you like it emailed or attached to a post?

Jegon

I have sent you my email - thanks very much - this project is taking me a long time !!