Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC

Guest birdflightless

Guest birdflightless

Hi All,

I think this ones for Terry.

I am researching the soldiers that died on my local memorial, which states that one man in particular died, but the roll of honour has him as also served.

After further investigation, I found that the roll was written in 1919. My man died in 1920, of what I believe to be a conditiuon caused by injuries recieved during the war.

Can you tell me what is needed to prove that he could/should possibly be included on the 'official casulty list'.

I have searched the CWGC site and he is not mentioned.

I will post more info about the man in question as soon as I find out if there are any living relatives who should be contacted.

For now I would like a little guidance, please, so as to gather all that might be needed.

Thank you.

Stewart

If this man died after discharge, then he falls into the second category of possible qualifying casualties.

They are...

Any discharged, retired, resigned or otherwise former members of a Commonwealth armed force who died between the qualifying dates of injusry or illness attriButable to service between the qualifying dates.

This is a hard one to prove sometimes.

You will need to prove that the cause of death was attributable to his service. Not always easy. What data do you have and who is he?

Guest birdflightless

Terry,

He is Rupert John Causton, Pte. 13529, 8th Suffolk Regiment.

Wounded May 1918 - Shrapnel wound to head

Discharged from hospital - November 1918

Demobed - April 1919

I have a copy of his death certificate, and the inquest report from the local paper.

He died under anaesthetic whilst under-going an op for what was thought to be a abscess on the brain, after the shrapnel was seen on X-ray to be insitue.

The cause of death on his death cert. says "Heart failure, produced from increased tension in his skull, accelerated by the administration of chloroform", the inquest report continues with "the discharge from the nose was caused by the shrapnel wound. The diseased condition of the heart might have been caused by blood poisoning from the shrapnel wound."

Would further medical records be required?

Regards

Stewart

Stewart

No, I wouldn't think so.

If you submit his service record/MIC, death certificate and the inquest report with any other details you have, I would think there is a good chance of having him accepted.

Do you know his burial location?

Guest birdflightless

Terry,

Thank you for your help.

The location of his grave is not exactly known, there is a family plot in the churchyard of All Saints, Little Cornard, Suffolk, but without checking further, I do not know its location.

Regards

Stewart